Meet up and community participation

Lorem Ipsum

Jan 28, 2022, 8:53:59 AM1/28/22
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would like to be more involved with the OpenSteno community.  However, I find it unnecessarily difficult to do that.  Below are several examples. Sadly, to even have this conversation, I have to make, use, and check a special account.  If you're interested in talking with me about this, please email me at ma...@excalamus.com.

Hello ma...@excalamus.com,

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (ploversteno) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
* The owner of the group may have removed this group.
* You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
* This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at https://groups.google.com/support/.

Thanks,

Google Groups

Jan 28, 2022, 9:42:41 AM1/28/22
to ploversteno
Oh, weird. I'm sorry. Yeah, Google Groups spam filters are really excessive! I try to manually whitelist everything and everyone I can, but sometimes it doesn't even notify me that someone is trying to get through, which is really frustrating!! Gonna perma-whitelist you now. Sorry again!!

Ted Morin

Jan 28, 2022, 10:08:27 AM1/28/22
to Plover
Thanks for the feedback. The meetup was largely community-driven, as was its promotion. The main place where it was organized was the Discord server, and I saw it publicly posted in the r/Plover subreddit. I can understand the promoters' point of view of not wanting to over-spam it in all possible channels (the Discord actually has an aggregate feed of many sources plus its own announcements and events feature, so it can feel like spamming as posting it in 5 places will make 5 Discord messages).

I think we sometimes neglect the Google Group because the Discord sees so much more action (relatively), but I'll try to establish a procedure for how we socialize future events to be more inclusive. The events page was a new idea and was implemented by a community member so hopefully we can highlight future events there too.The Plover Blog is great because it mirrors to Twitter. Google Group allows for our large member base here to receive it.

As for account-free collaboration? Other than IRC, non-google-group mailing lists, and wikis; I can't think of ways to accomplish that. I think the reality is that most online services nowadays require an account of some sort. One user in the community is working on a new Open Steno wiki and that may allow for anonymous contributions?

Maybe a good checklist to go down when we organize an event is:

1. Events page on OSP site
2. The Plover Blog
3. Discord event + announcement
4. Google Group
5. Subreddit

Cheers,
Ted

Kelly Garland

Sep 1, 2022, 1:33:32 AM9/1/22
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to be a part of your group please, Mirabai.

Thank you, Kelly Garland

--
Kelly Ann

Dave Ruby

Sep 1, 2022, 12:36:55 PM9/1/22
to Plover

I'm also interested in the group and getting to go the meet up. Is there gonna be one in NYC?

Mirabai Knight

Sep 1, 2022, 12:41:27 PM9/1/22
to ploversteno
No concrete plans to have an NYC Open Steno Meetup currently, but if we get one together at some point I'll definitely post the information here as well as on the Discord and the Plover Blog!