Running Plover in Ubuntu

John Sampson

Sep 11, 2020, 6:45:46โ€ฏAM9/11/20
to Plover
I am new to Ubuntu. If I start Plover by double clicking on the .exe file I see a message that it is already running. How do I get a clue that Plover is running in Ubuntu? I see no sign of it.

mik...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2020, 9:18:11โ€ฏAM9/11/20
to Plover
open notepad and try it

Erik To

Sep 11, 2020, 11:09:41โ€ฏAM9/11/20
to Plover

You shouldn't be running .exe files in Ubuntu most of the time. Download the Appimage here: https://github.com/openstenoproject/plover/releases (under "assets" there's a file that ends in ".appimage" which is what you want in Linux).

As for any indication that its running, I'm not too sure about Ubuntu but there may be some status indicator in the top bar. I might boot an Ubuntu ISO and check it out ๐Ÿ™‚ .

sampso...@googlemail.com

Sep 11, 2020, 11:25:10โ€ฏAM9/11/20
to Plover
Thanks - I found the icon in the top right corner of the screen. I think this area must correspond to the notification area in Windows, at the bottom right.

sampso...@googlemail.com

Jan 30, 2021, 4:47:57โ€ฏPM1/30/21
to Plover
Trying again but although Plover is (reportedly) running there is no user interface for it.

Conor Cosnett

Jan 30, 2021, 4:52:49โ€ฏPM1/30/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
did you try rebooting?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ploversteno/be4ddc4e-6a93-49fa-9f2e-715b46593c46n%40googlegroups.com.

Conor Cosnett

Jan 30, 2021, 4:56:15โ€ฏPM1/30/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
it should appear in the dock. you could also hold the (window key) and then tap (shift)

sampso...@googlemail.com

Feb 18, 2023, 6:35:59โ€ฏAM2/18/23
to Plover
From this I see that I must once have made some progress in installing Plover in Ubuntu. I have not been able to repeat the experience. I am wondering if there is a history of Plover being made to work in Ubuntu. It might be better for me to follow in the footsteps of a master - one who ascended to the level of being able to install Plover in Ubuntu, or even some other Linux distro.