Macs With the M1 or M2 Chip and Plover's Stentura Driver

Glen Warner

Sep 17, 2022, 4:30:56 PM9/17/22
to Plover
Apparently, Stenograph has decided to drop support for Mac users running Case via VMWare Fusion, Parallels, and possibly VirtualBox by not supporting the new Macs running on the M1 or M2 chips.

I'm wondering if Stenograph's lack of support for those new chips would have any effect for my fellow Mac users running Plover with one of the Stenograph writers if they decide to upgrade their Macs to a model running on one of those chips.

Has anybody made that leap as yet?

tran...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2022, 9:31:54 PM9/19/22
to Plover
I upgraded to an M1, and a couple of things happened:

--My Infinity foot pedal no longer works on Inqscribe. Internet research indicated that is a chip issue conflicting with the pedal, and the only solution is to buy a new pedal with a specific marking. I did that and the new one is fine, but I'm down $60.
--My Infinity Traditional Student writer no longer can be found by the Mac. Nothing has cured this yet.
--My new Luminex CSE (1) doesn't talk to the Mac, either. The port just doesn't appear on the Plover list, though all my non-writer steno keyboards (SOFT/HRUF, Georgi) are just fine.

I wrote to Stenograph and just got the "we don't support Macs" response. There are quite a few of us out here, guys...

Glen Warner

Sep 20, 2022, 3:12:58 AM9/20/22
to Plover
Ouch! I had no idea things would be that bad. Thanks for answering! I think I'll stick with my 2009  17 inch MacBook Pro running a hacked version of High Sierra. Hopefully the ProCAT protocol will continue to work, should I be "forced" to upgrade ... but then again, I like Dashboard too much to upgrade past Mohave.

For your situation, have you tried Bluetooth? I have one of those Japanese Bluetooth-serial adapters (search for "Bluetoothiness" on Cheap and Sleazy) that has been working just fine for me. Certainly can't hurt!