Re: Sensors for Water Quality Monitoring

Liz Barry

Apr 10, 2014, 7:49:23 PM4/10/14
to Catherine D'Ignazio, Jeffrey Warren, Sean McGinnis, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, Plotz 3d
Hey Sean,
We have a 3d printer right in Brooklyn! You can come print with it anytime. Just get Makerware in your computer and download the thing you want from thingiverse. Or make it in TinkerCAD.
:D
Liz

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Catherine D'Ignazio <dign...@mit.edu> wrote:
Hi Sean -

The water efforts are very much in process and just beginning. Here's our main wiki page:

The turbidity measurement is still in process and something that Ben Gamari and Don Blair have been working on which they can maybe elaborate more on.

We are making a FAQ about the project which we'll be publishing soon but the basic idea is that we are just starting out. What are you interested in measuring and where are you based out of?
Best
catherine
/////////////////////////////
Catherine D'Ignazio
Research Assistant, MIT Media Lab Center for Civic Media
dign...@mit.edu   ||   kana...@ikatun.org   ||   @kanarinka   ||   +1 617 501 2441   ||   www.kanarinka.com || http://civic.mit.edu/blog/kanarinka/

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Jeffrey Warren <je...@publiclab.org> wrote:
You could ask the plot...@googlegroups.com list -- thats where all the donate Makerbot users are, and surely someone can print one for you.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Sean McGinnis <seankm...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's great and similar to some of the things I was thinking about.

It leads me to a couple questions:

* I don't have access to a 3d printer, would it be possible to buy a printed cap from someone?
* I couldn't find any documentation or research notes on the calculating turbidity, am I missing it or is it a work in progress?

I know the project is centered in Massachusetts, but I would like to get involved.
-sean

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Jeffrey Warren <je...@publiclab.org> wrote:
Hey Sean - I'm not sure you've been following it, but there's been a lot of work done on the Riffle prototype, which is attempting continuous monitoring of temp, conductivity, and turbidity: http://publiclab.org/wiki/riffle

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Sean McGinnis <seankm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Morning All,
I have been thinking about different ways to monitor water bodies over an extended period of time and not just get the snapshot while at the sampling station.

To do that I was thinking about a tethered submersible container with sensors to capture and log the information on an Arduino or Raspberry Pi. I have been looking to see what kind of sensors are available and have found a few at Adafruit & Robotmesh:

* GPS
* thermometer
* pH Meter

Does anyone know of any other sensors or tests that would provide meaningful results for a longer term physical monitoring of a water body?

Thanks in advance,