Autodesk announces open hardware 3D lithography printer

Jeffrey Warren

May 15, 2014, 9:37:56 AM5/15/14
to Plotz 3d, irat...@googlegroups.com
Pretty amazing! Way to go Autodesk! I wonder what open hardware license they will choose.

Autodesk expects to license the software inside its printer at no cost and will also let people copy the printer’s hardware design. Autodesk has not yet determined which of several standard open-source licenses it will use, if any.

In keeping with our open approach, we will make it simple to integrate new materials into our printer, and will also make the design files for the printer available so others can iterate on and enhance its capabilities. --Autodesk (http://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/spark)

Mathew Lippincott

May 15, 2014, 12:46:17 PM5/15/14
to Jeffrey Warren, Plotz 3d, irat...@googlegroups.com
This is an abrupt smack in the face to their tight relationship with Makerbot.

Jeffrey Warren

May 15, 2014, 5:09:23 PM5/15/14
to irat...@googlegroups.com, Plotz 3d
This is a really great in-depth discussion of the slow displacement of open source apps on Android by Google's closed-source "google ecosystem" apps, and the very interesting strategic move of Samsung to continue to maintain the original open versions (which many folks think of as bloatware): http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Bryan <btbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
The good news is that even after a company tries to go closed source, Pandora done opened dat box.

While Google has closed everything up, open source versions live on. Even Android lives on in competitor software like Amazon's OS that runs Fire.

Open source can never truly be closed. Only future work after some arbitrary point in time may be closed.
-Bryan

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 1:40 PM, R.J. Steinert <r...@rjsteinert.com> wrote:
Interesting they compare it to Google's Android. Google had open source versions of their Calendar, email, etc. and then they shut those down in favor of the closed source Google Calendar App,Gmail App, etc.  Autodesk's incentive in the project is they will sell more software, I wonder which parts of the system, and when, they will cripple on this new platform to force folks to have to buy Autodesk licenses.

- RJ

Jeffrey Warren

May 16, 2014, 12:00:50 PM5/16/14
to irat...@googlegroups.com, Plotz 3d
anyone know if Samsung's forks remained open source? I doubt they were copyleft to start with, right?

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM, R.J. Steinert <r...@rjsteinert.com> wrote:
@Jeff - thanks for posting that link. It was my source. Lazy me for not posting that to begin with.

- RJ