CWQT Week 18--results

Rob Buchanan

Oct 2, 2020, 6:11:30 PM10/2/20
to water-...@nycwatertrail.org

A disappointing end to the sampling season thanks to a big rainstorm Wednesday that dropped more than an inch of rain in Central Park. Then again, considering everything else that's gone down in 2020, it's amazing we were able to pull anything together all. Study the tableau below for all of the reasons that happened--and a big shoutout to all who dipped, biked, processed, uploaded, donated, or otherwise lent support in this craziest of years!

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 4.36.32 PM.png

Click here for our all-sites spreadsheet or check our map interface for season-long results at individual sites (blue icons indicate active sites; sampling at sites marked in yellow is suspended for this season). In a week or so we'll send out a last email summarizing our findings for the year, then leave you alone till next spring!

WEEKLY NEWS ROUNDUP:

At the End of the New Pier 26, a Surprise (NY Times)

WEEKLY SLIDE SHOW:

IMG-2973.jpg
Toby Bryce from the Friends of Bushwick Inlet Park joined us for our last sampling run of the season.

IMG_6229.jpeg
Dead sturgeon just north of the GW Bridge--and yes, it was reported to the DEC (Photo: Ingo Gunther)

unnamed-1.jpg
Going the extra mile: Sean Lynch sampling at the Gowanus Canal (Photo: Brad Vogel)

IMG-3028.JPG
Species ID quiz: big eyes, see-through body--what is it?

IMG-2912.jpg
Geography quiz: what water body is this?

IMG-0302.JPG
Sampling at 2nd St. Kayak ramp, Newtown Creek (Evan O'Neil)

IMG-1529.jpg
Gowanus Dredgers Captain Brad Vogel assembling canoes for a dawn reading of Marianne Moore poetry--yes, the Dredgers do that! (Photo: Sean Lynch)

IMG-2911.jpg
What happens when you leave an oyster cage untended for a year (World's Fair Marina)

IMG-2989.jpg
Treasure chest at Coney Island Creek

1e469b31-49d5-436d-a13d-04aa37b595a7.JPG
Fast-growing oyster (note translucent 'lip') at Bushwick Inlet (Photo: Finola)

IMG-2941.jpg
Shared waters: Guardians of Flushing Bay eco-docks under construction on Newtown Creek

unnamed-2.jpg
Arrivaderci from the BOP water quality monitoring team: Hana, Illusion, Rob, Finola and Agata

QUIZ ANSWERS FROM LAST WEEK:

unnamed.jpg

Creature: Rock gunnel

unnamed-1.jpg

Place: Northern Avenue Bridge, Flushing Creek

QUIZ ANSWERS FROM THIS WEEK (since it's the last week):

Creature: Naked gobi

Place: Flushing Bay

The Citizens Water Quality Testing Program (CWQT) is a collaboration between the New York City Water Trail Association, The Billion Oyster Project, Riverkeeper, and Hudson River Park's River Project, with support from Two Trees Management. For more information, to volunteer, or to unsubscribe, email us at water-...@nycwatertrail.org

image.png           image.png