Fwd: CWQT Week 15--results

Rob Buchanan

Aug 27, 2021, 5:46:10 PM8/27/21
to water-...@nycwatertrail.org

In honor of Hurricane Henri's visit last weekend, we decided to do some extra sampling at four of our East River sites, in order to get a better sense of 'recovery time'--that is, how long it takes for bacteria levels in the water to return to acceptable levels. You can see from the graph below (or this results table) how the sites improved from Monday, when it was still raining, to Thursday.

IMG_2197.jpg
Au revoir Henri: Tuesday's sample at Brooklyn Bridge Beach.

Post Henri Entero (relabeled).jpg
Here are the results plotted on a graph--note that scale on left is logarithmic.

Click here to see our Thursday results from all over the harbor. For a map of our testing sites, click here

WATERWAYS NEWS:
2 Months of Rain in a Day and a Half: New York City Sets Records (New York Times)
WEEKLY SLIDE SHOW:

DSCF3066 reduce.JPG
Wow, looks like a pretty good beach--too bad it's about to be buried under giant blocks of rip-rap (Graeme Birchall)

IMG_2281.jpg
Last day on the job: Karina Garcia, Pace biology major and intern extraordinaire, sampling at Brooklyn Bridge Beach.

20210826_094631.jpg
Please stay one sturgeon apart! (Dawn Marie Berry)

IMG_2362.jpg
Microplastics samplers have big jars: Beizhan Yan and Federico de Lima at Wallabout Channel.

IMG_2247.jpg
Needle, tracks: Brooklyn Bridge Beach

IMG_2326.jpg
Hang time: blue crabs in Newtown Creek

IMG_2369.jpg
Wanna ship something up or down the Hudson in a carbon-neutral way? Check out the schooner Apollonia's sail freight operation

IMG_2069.jpg
Species ID: what fish?

66a19879-69b1-40c1-bd17-6acb62dce0a3.JPG
Harbor Geography: what two bridges and what power plant?

Last week's quiz answers:
IMG_1470.JPG
A lot of you thought it was a sculpin but our expert says it's a striped blenny.

IMG_2037.jpg
Moolah King Baby Island--one of four caissons off the old Con Ed power plant site north of Grand Street in Williamsburg.

The Citizens Water Quality Testing Program (CWQT) is a collaboration between the New York City Water Trail Association, the Billion Oyster Project, and Hudson River Park's River Project, with support from Two Trees Management.

Partner programs and labs sharing their data (or publishing ours) include: Bronx River Alliance, Gowanus Canal Conservancy, Interstate Environmental Commission, Lower Raritan Watershed Partnership, Hackensack Riverkeeper, Hudson Riverkeeper, Monsignor Farrell High School, Newtown Creek Alliance, St. Francis College, Sarah Lawrence Center for the Urban River, SUNY Maritime Marine Environmental Science Department, Queens College Biology Department.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 10.27.58 AM.png