Fwd: CWQT Week 16--results

Rob Buchanan

Sep 18, 2020, 6:41:03 PM9/18/20
to water-...@nycwatertrail.org
No rain at all this week so everything should be in the green, right? Well, almost. Click here for our all-sites spreadsheet or check our map interface for season-long results at individual sites (blue icons indicate active sites; sampling at sites marked in yellow is suspended for this season). Two more weeks of testing to go before our season ends on October 1.

IMG-2391.jpg
Looking for oysters at Oyster Island, just south of the Statue of Liberty. The island only emerges a few days a year, at very low tides--but today was one of them!

WEEKLY NEWS ROUNDUP:

Stay out of the water if you just got a tattoo (NY Post)

Sinkhole threatens public access (Patch.com)

Board shakeup at Hudson River Park Trust (Village Sun)

New Jersey governor signs landmark environmental justice law (Reuters)

Ten feet of sea level rise coming soon? (Washington Post)

Governors Island as Climate Research Center? (New York Times)

UPCOMING WATERWAYS EVENT:

Annual Billion Oyster Party, September 24--yes it's virtual, but we'll ship you a box of oysters (not from NY Harbor!) to enjoy with the show

WEEKLY SLIDE SHOW:

IMG-2316.jpg

Community scientist of the week: Theo Singh helps load samples into the incubator.

11374f80-6a7a-4304-80de-ebf2377618e9.JPG
Dumbo sample, yo! (Finola)

IMG-2424.JPG
Heather and Susan from the Lower Raritan Watershed Partnership, sampling at the Rutgers Boathouse dock in New Brunswick (Heather Fenyk).

IMG-2322.JPG
Rainbow sheen (which, not coincidentally, is the name of Newtown Creek Alliance's sampling boat) near the Kosciuszko Bridge in Newtown Creek (Willis Elkins)

IMG-2290.jpg
Artist Jenny Polak and assistant staking out "Offshore," a conceptual art piece coming soon to Socrates Sculpture Park in Astoria.

3C9BF7B6-6926-4FD0-84E9-88AE02FD31F4.jpeg
Lilly assisting with the sampling at Bushwick Inlet Park beach (Jie)

IMG_20200917_092305.jpg
Scoping out the 'seawall corridor' under the Domino Park esplanade, where 3.5 million juvenile oysters will be placed next year (Finola)

IMG_20200917_093627.jpg
Spoonful o' toadfish (Finola)

943f10c0-bb7b-4d5d-b545-8ac09982290a.JPG
Oyster retrieved from the bottom of Wallabout Channel, oil-coated but still alive (Finola)

IMG-2352.jpg
Creature quiz: dead in the water at the Navy Yard--what is it and why might he/she have died?

IMG-2309.jpg
Geography quiz: name and location of this NYC park?

IMG-2321.JPG
Cormorants guarding the floatables boom on Maspeth Creek, aka the Newtown Creek Turning Basin (Willis Elkins)

QUIZ ANSWERS FROM LAST WEEK:

unnamed-2.jpg
Creature: Juvenile kingfish

unnamed-1.jpg
Place: South Fifth St., Williamsburg

The Citizens Water Quality Testing Program (CWQT) is a collaboration between the New York City Water Trail Association, The Billion Oyster Project, Riverkeeper, and Hudson River Park's River Project, with support from Two Trees Management. For more information, to volunteer, or to unsubscribe, email us at water-...@nycwatertrail.org

image.png           image.png