Just finished building my Public Labs Spec + Doing my first CFL calibration Today. A few questions!

Carl Crott

Oct 13, 2018, 12:24:28 PM10/13/18
to PublicLab Northern California
Headline covers it. The CFL bulb will be delivered soon + excited to do my first calibration so a few questions came to mind:

1) Is anyone else using the webcam ( non-raspi )?
2) How did you perform the initial diffraction-grating alignment?  I had substantial trouble getting an initial spectra to locate correctly on the webcam.
3) What illumination sources do you use?  Is everyone using a CFL to back-illuminate their samples?
4) Has anyone coupled this device to other instruments?
5) Does anyone in Nor Cal have a exceptionally precise instrument + care to share how they configured it?

Best,
Carl

Stevie Lewis

Oct 16, 2018, 9:45:18 AM10/16/18
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carl!
Exciting you've built your first Public Lab spec! There's a great Q&A system on Public Lab which would be a good place to search for answers to your questions, and post those you don't see. You can sort by topic. Spectrometry might be a good one to start with. Lots of info there!

Best,
Stevie

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Liz Barry

Oct 16, 2018, 8:25:03 PM10/16/18
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
Great to meet you Carl!

To 3), people use various types of illumination sources depending on what they are trying to see. For instance a lot of the oil testing involves lasers or UV light. The CFL is just for calibration purposes.

Sincerely,
Liz