[Invitation] Public Lab 2/8 event - Communities & Frac Sand Mining

Ashley Mocorro Powell

Jan 22, 2021, 3:24:11 PM1/22/21
to Ashley Mocorro Powell
Hi Everyone!

Public Lab is hosting our second OpenHour of the year on Monday February 8. Please see the event details below.  Feel free to pass this along to your networks. If you know others that are facing industry concerns around frac sand mining or are curious about learning more directly from community leaders about how they've been organizing -- please join us!

Upcoming:
Monday February 8, 2021, 11:30am ET /10:30am CT/08:30am PT

[OpenHour] Undermined  - Voices from the Frontlines of Frac Sand Mining

The perils of fracking are well documented, but the impacts from mining frac sand are less widely known. In this OpenHour, we speak with the people fighting for clean air and water, fertile farmland, & sustainable livelihoods in fenceline communities from across the midwest. Fracking is an extractive technology that has spread across massive landscapes and unzoned, small towns in the USA as industry has purchased up land rights to conduct operations. Mining for silica sand, use of chemicals, and local water all are pumped into the ground to release small pockets of oil & gas. We will hear directly from community members who have been bringing their communities together to unite in the struggles for healthy homes and  justice amidst broken promises from frac sand companies. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions during the event. This event is being hosted in collaboration with FracTracker Alliance.

How to join, visit here: https://publiclab.org/openhour

International numbers available: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kOhXFb1gS

Meeting time in every timezone: https://everytimezone.com/s/d56cd427

Look forward to seeing you there,