Fwd: [ CADA ] If toxic air is a monument to slavery, how do we take it down?

Scott Eustis

Jul 7, 2021, 12:08:44 PM7/7/21
to plots-g...@googlegroups.com, Gulf South Rising organizers, Gulf Monitoring Consortium, gulf-coast...@googlegroups.com
check it out

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Imani Jacqueline Brown <i...@forensic-architecture.org>
Date: Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 11:04 AM
Subject: [ CADA ] If toxic air is a monument to slavery, how do we take it down?
To: cad...@googlegroups.com <cad...@googlegroups.com>, no-for...@googlegroups.com <no-for...@googlegroups.com>

Hey y'all,

As many of you know, over the past year, I've been working with Forensic Architecture, an international human rights research agency, on an investigation, in partnership with Rise, into the 300-year continuum of environmental racism in Death Alley.

Our investigation page launched last Thursday. We produced a 35-minute film called If toxic air is a monument to slavery, how do we take it down? as well as an 85-page report on our findings.

Check it out here:

We used advanced techniques in counter-cartography, fluid dynamics, and 3D modeling to locate traces of lost and erased cemeteries of enslaved people and bring visibility to the invisible chemical gases and particulate matter that pervade the air.

This represents the culmination of phase 1 of our investigation. The second phase involves continuing to work with local groups to mobilize our findings in support of their demands for a moratorium on petrochemical development. Over the next months, we'll be making all our research open source by building an online platform. I'll be traveling home to Louisiana in the Fall to conduct a training on its use.

Please reach out with any questions and please do share widely.

In solidarity

Imani

Imani Jacqueline Brown
Researcher