Request: weekly one-sentence GSoC summaries

Jeffrey Warren

May 26, 2016, 2:01:58 PM5/26/16
to plot...@googlegroups.com, plots...@googlegroups.com
Hi, GSoC students!

I've heard from folks who are eager to follow your progress, but can't follow every discussion thread and research note, so I wanted to request that each week everyone send me just one sentence about their progress.

This can be a sentence you've already posted on a note or discussion list, or sent to me or your mentor. Just a quick "snapshot" of what you spent the week doing. I'll post these in a summary each Friday.

Mentors - I'll send out a reminder each Thursday to ask students for this, but please help your students summarize if they need it, or chip in your own summaries (and/or questions) and I'm happy to include them.

So: please reply to this thread with your summaries by tomorrow!

Thanks, all! Great first week so far!
Jeff

Lalith Rallabhandi

May 27, 2016, 6:10:49 AM5/27/16
to plots-dev, plots...@googlegroups.com, je...@publiclab.org
Hi Jeff,

Its a nice idea.
Database structure was the crucial part of the application. I created a rails model for Usertag and wrote basic unit tests to get started. Next would be setup the controller and implementation of views.

Thanks !

Richard Meister

May 27, 2016, 11:06:57 AM5/27/16
to plots-dev, plots...@googlegroups.com, je...@publiclab.org
Hi Jeff,

here is my sentence. I spent the week with research about AFSK modems and figured out what the SoftModem library actually does. Also I've read the code of modem.js to judge if it suits our needs (it probably does not, I'll post a research note or open a separate thread later).

Best regards,
Richard

Jeffrey Warren

May 27, 2016, 11:40:35 AM5/27/16
to Richard Meister, plots-dev, plots...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, folks - anyone else? I know we're at varying time zones, but if you could send something short, that would be great.

Jeffrey Warren

May 27, 2016, 2:00:55 PM5/27/16
to Richard Meister, plots-dev, plots...@googlegroups.com
OK folks - posted here: https://publiclab.org/notes/warren/05-27-2016/recent-updates-on-publiclab-org-google-summer-of-code

Thanks and please add your summaries in comments if they didn't get in!

Ananyo Maiti

May 27, 2016, 2:05:32 PM5/27/16
to Jeffrey Warren, Richard Meister, plots-dev, plots...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeff,
As mentioned in the plots2 pull request #550 I have written controller actions and views for Questions controller and wrote basic functiional tests for questions and notes controller. The initial views for the question index and show page can be seen in the images attached.

Regards,
Ananyo

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-gsoc" group.
questions_index.png
questions_show.png

Jeffrey Warren

May 27, 2016, 2:23:04 PM5/27/16
to Ananyo Maiti, Richard Meister, plots-dev, plots...@googlegroups.com
Super, it's really exciting to see this!

Jitesh Jha

May 28, 2016, 4:03:03 AM5/28/16
to plots-gsoc, anan...@gmail.com, richard.m...@googlemail.com, plot...@googlegroups.com, je...@publiclab.org
That's a nice initiative! My work this week involved perusing the i18n docs, finding best practices for i18n, converting html tags to translation tags in footer layout, writing a set locale defination in the application controller, and a new initializer raising exception for missing translations. My next phase of task will involve writing basic tests ( I have written to the i18n maintainers regarding the best practices for i18n tests) and moving on to the header area.