[PublicLab] Cancer Problems: Meet Cancer Alley (#26223)

notifi...@publiclab.org

Apr 14, 2021, 1:43:12 PM4/14/21
to notifi...@publiclab.org

Public Lab contributor NicholasNail just posted a new research note entitled 'Cancer Problems: Meet Cancer Alley':

Read and respond to the post here: https://publiclab.org/notes/NicholasNail/04-13-2021/cancer-problems-meet-cancer-alley

Introduction:

We are a group of three 9th grade students looking into Cancer Alley, a small area in Louisiana between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. People living there are 50 times more likely to get cancer than in other areas around the world. This is all due to the massive amount of pollution around the area from large companies and factories.

Our main concern:

Our main concern is how the pollution and high cancer rates in this area affect peoples' daily lives.

Obstacles and supporting information:

Our obstacles are the limited amount of free time we have, getting to Cancer Alley in order to do research, and obtaining instruments to record data about the air quality.

Who is engaged in this concern?

Sharon Lavigne, founder of a protest group named "Coalition Against Cancer Alley", and other locals inside of Cancer Alley, such as Robert Taylor and Dorothy Jenkins (Business Insider). These people are focused mainly on trying to stop these factories and companies from polluting the area.

What are the initial questions?

  1. What are the chemicals in the air?
  2. What's the radius of Cancer Alley?
  3. How many people are affected?
  4. Why are the chemicals that are released so dangerous?
  5. Why do they still allow people to live in this area if cancer cases are more likely than the rest of the world?
  6. How are these companies able to pollute the area without legal action being taken against them?
  7. Does it affect animals?

[questions:cancer_alley_louisiana_concerns]

You received this email because you are subscribed to some or all of the following tags: air-quality,cancer,pollution,issue-brief,first-time-poster,zoom:7,cancer-alley,lat:30.177423,lon:-91.046702,with:owentaylor,with:duynguyen.

Subscribe to all the tags for this post by visiting https://publiclab.org/subscribe/multiple/tag/air-quality,cancer,pollution,issue-brief,first-time-poster,zoom:7,cancer-alley,lat:30.177423,lon:-91.046702,with:owentaylor,with:duynguyen.

Report spam and abuse to: moder...@publiclab.org

Check out the blog at https://publiclab.org/blog | Love our work? Make a one-time or recurring donation at https://publiclab.org/donate If this email title has an ID in the format #0000, you can reply with the email you use at PublicLab.org and your response will be posted as a comment on the website.