Example of OJS-ALM integration without PKP-ALM

Santiago M

Jul 8, 2014, 3:43:20 AM7/8/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Dear community,

thank you very much for the excelent work developing ALM, for the editors and authors is an excepcional tools for know the social impact of the research. I'm a researcher and Executive Editor of a modest and young journal. We are deployed a ALM server and integrate the same with our OJS forked platform.

I attach an example URL working: http://naerjournal.ua.es/article/view/v2n2-3

We know that is a basic information that you can see at the bottom of the article is elemental. We are working in extend our basic code and converting the same in a standard OJS plugin for use with another personal ALM server.

At this moment the PKP-ALM plugin only work with the last version of OJS and only with PKP-ALM server. A lot of editors (collegues) and Universities have asked me about the importance of use a private ALM server in her instititutions.

Maybe after summer we will launch a new versión of our ALM-OJS integartion with charts integrated.

Thank you very much to the comunity to made this integration possible.

Santiago

Martin Fenner

Jul 8, 2014, 4:43:54 AM7/8/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Santiago,

congratulations on launching your ALM service! I noticed a few things when looking at your implementation and would like to provide some feedback:

* we prefer the name ALM over PLOS ALM for the software. And you can link to the ALM community site at http://articlemetrics.github.io. That site also has an implementations section and it would be great if you write a page explaining what you did. The easiest way is a pull request to https://github.com/articlemetrics/articlemetrics.github.io, or you send me your text via email.

* Are you interested in other users using your API, e.g. with tools such as http://ropensci.org/tutorials/alm_tutorial.html? You need an API key to do that, and that is why we Mozilla Persona as an easy way to manage user accounts. I understand that you don’t want to use Mozilla Persona, but would you like to allow API users to register? Would you prefer username/password, or another third-party login?

* For article http://naerjournal.ua.es/article/view/v2n2-3 there is a difference between the CrossRef Cited-By count you display at your journal site, and the Cited-By count that the ALM application has collected (and the number you are showing in your ALM box). I’m happy to help you resolve this, you can for example use the cited-by information stored in the ALM application: the Events tab at http://alm.naerjournal.es/articles/info:doi/10.7821/naer.2.2.72-81 shows what is also available via the ALM API. The API call for this information would be

http://alm.naerjournal.es/api/v5/articles?ids=10.7821/naer.2.2.72-81&source=crossref&info=detail&api_key=YOUR_API_KEY

You can see that the API returns JSON in Citeproc format.

* Let me know if you have any additional data sources you want to implement. As long as they have an API, or provide a file we can parse for DOIs, this is easy to implement.

Kind regards,

Martin

Santiago M

Jul 8, 2014, 5:06:18 AM7/8/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Martin,

thank you very much for your quick reply and comments. We are very pleased for your opinion and today we change some things. We know the error between Crossref count and Cite-by list.  In our development server we don't have this error. We think is a error of Citylink OJS plugin and we will try to resolve it. Maybe we use de API Citeproc tool, thank you for the recomendation.

At this moment we are exploring the posibilities of  ALM, in production mode we are using Mozilla Person and we expect open our production server using Mozilla Person after summer. Firstly we need trace a plan for this question.  Thanks for the recomendation.

We will try to write a text/manual with our integracion in few weeks.

Thank you for your availability

Kind regards,

Santiago

Am 08.07.2014 um 09:43 schrieb Santiago M <blog.santi...@gmail.com<mailto:blog.santiag...@gmail.com>>:

[...]

ken smith

Aug 25, 2015, 11:27:23 AM8/25/15
to PLOS API Developers
I am a developer for OpenJournalSystems.com and we would like to start developing out own ALM plugin for OJS. What are our best options?

Ken