Hosting in Cloud?

Neil

Aug 7, 2010, 11:22:28 AM8/7/10
to Plone Salesforce Integration

Hey folks

I'm helping Cloud providers plan new products. Do you think the Plone
Salesforce.com connector is a good app for this? What about Plone
itself?

cheers, Neil.

Jon Stahl

Aug 9, 2010, 12:17:59 PM8/9/10
to plo...@googlegroups.com

Neil, this is a pretty vague question. Some thoughts that may or may not be helpful:

* The Plone/Salesforce connector is an add-on product for Plone, and thus is not something that anyone would or could install separately from Plone. (It does, however, use a more general standalone Python-Salesforce library called Beatbox.)

* Lots of people run Plone in "cloud" hosting environments such as Amazon EC2 or the Rackspace Cloud.

* I definitely think there are opportunities for folks to put together value-added distributions of Plone and supporting infrastructure, ala http://jazkarta.com/plone-ami-signup.

:jon

----------
Jon Stahl
Senior Strategist
j...@groundwire.org
206.286.1235x15

Groundwire: You Are Connected
http://groundwire.org

ne...@mcevoy.biz

Aug 9, 2010, 6:57:57 PM8/9/10
to plo...@googlegroups.com

> * I definitely think there are opportunities for folks to put together
> value-added distributions of Plone and supporting infrastructure, ala
> http://jazkarta.com/plone-ami-signup.

Hi

Sorry for being vague. My specific question and goal is to identify how
web hosting providers might better tailor their Cloud platforms to suit
the needs of developers, ie what would be the ideal Cloud product for a
Plone developer, for example.

I do also want to explore the process of creating tailored instances of
Plone and how that process may be automated and relicated. This would feed
into the above. The goal is creating a solution to a specific government
program, eg the 'ICSP', and then repeating this for other provinces that
have the same legislative need.

Cheers, Neil.

Jon Stahl

Aug 9, 2010, 10:53:03 PM8/9/10
to plo...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM, <ne...@mcevoy.biz> wrote:

>> * I definitely think there are opportunities for folks to put together
>> value-added distributions of Plone and supporting infrastructure, ala
>> http://jazkarta.com/plone-ami-signup.
>
> Hi
>
> Sorry for being vague. My specific question and goal is to identify how
> web hosting providers might better tailor their Cloud platforms to suit
> the needs of developers, ie what would be the ideal Cloud product for a
> Plone developer, for example.

That might be an interesting question to ask (in the most specific way
you can) on the plone-users list. (This list is pretty focused on
Plone/Salesforce integration.)

> I do also want to explore the process of creating tailored instances of
> Plone and how that process may be automated and relicated. This would feed
> into the above. The goal is creating a solution to a specific government
> program, eg the 'ICSP', and then repeating this for other provinces that
> have the same legislative need.

That is pretty straightforward. Plone and its add-on products can be
instantiated and configured via a "policy product" -- this is best
documented in Martin Aspeli's "Professional Plone 3" book.

If you also want to configure other parts of the stack (e.g. a
webserver such as apache or nginx, a proxy server such as varnish),
this can generally be done with buildout recipes, of which there are
many. There's quite a bit on buildout at
http://plone.org/documentation/manual/developer-manual/managing-projects-with-buildout

I hope that's helpful. You should probably take further questions
along these lines to plone-users, too. :-)

best,
jon

ne...@mcevoy.biz

Aug 10, 2010, 5:50:26 AM8/10/10
to plo...@googlegroups.com

That's awesome Jon, much thanks. I will continue learning more at plone
users.

Neil.