Logo

Elizabeth Leddy

Dec 14, 2009, 1:08:37 PM12/14/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com

I still am a ginourmous fan of the female symbol - google has something similar in their logo for supporting women. Is there anyone we can officially appeal to in order to have it accepted?

I will be coworking in sf the week before xmas and I can find some time. We are representing from pst and est timezones right?

Liz

On Dec 12, 2009 7:55 PM, "JoAnna" <jlu...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Dec 7, 5:54 pm, Elizabeth Leddy <camemb...@gmail.com> wrote: > I love the female plone symbol. ...

The female symbol is pretty cool but it seems it has caused a stink.
I've heard rumblings of a fight breaking out on the IP committee list
about it. Guessing it violates logo standards as well. :-/

> > On that line, we could do something with literal 'chicks', or something with the obvious femal...

Of course i love our little chick as seen here http://plonechix.pbworks.com/T-shirts
and I love the one you did with the her and the little plone peep.
And doing a derivation of the dots like the South America Symposium
looks totally great and is acceptable.

When do we need something by in order to have it for SXSW or Pycon or
what have you?
Trish you are obviously very talented!! We've got some great ideas
going, I know we'll come up with something!

What is everyone leaning towards so far? Now that we know we'll have
people at upcoming events we have deadlines to work towards. I'm super
excited for those of you who get to attend!!!
Would you gals be available for an IRC chat here before the holidays
so we can do a little group brainstorm, pick a direction and move on
it? I don't know how your offices are  but the few days right before
the holidays are pretty slow so I'll probably have time.

JoAnna

Trish Ang

Dec 14, 2009, 1:12:41 PM12/14/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, sorry about the bad news from the IP committee!! I didn't think it would hurt to ask, since we weren't completely sure on their rules, but I guess I was wrong. =/

I'm still waiting to hear back about their "official response" though.

JoAnna Springsteen

Dec 14, 2009, 1:14:27 PM12/14/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Elizabeth Leddy
<elizabe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I still am a ginourmous fan of the female symbol - google has something
> similar in their logo for supporting women. Is there anyone we can
> officially appeal to in order to have it accepted?

We can always appeal to the board. At least I think that's the
appropriate route to take. They have made exceptions in the past. I'm
not sure how they decide these things. But yes, it's an option. I just
think we should have a back up plan in case we get an overwhelming no.

> I will be coworking in sf the week before xmas and I can find some time. We
> are representing from pst and est timezones right?

I believe so. I know Sisi is in Europe but I always forget what time
zone. We can pick a time that includes as many countries as possible
in case others would like to join.

J.

Elizabeth Leddy

Dec 15, 2009, 1:13:40 AM12/15/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
wrt the logo, we could avoid tying the logo to anything we do. for example, just having "powered by Plone" somewhere as it is OOB would be fine. I have to admit I'm not the most ginourmous fan of the chick itself (the one logo looks like the chix is barfing up plone... which is actually quite funny). What if it was just a plain old female symbol with "powered by plone" next to it? I don't know... I'm wearing out of ideas on this one.

as far as the irc meetup if you have a suggested time I will be there :) I have no idea when that would be. 8am PST?

Trish Ang

Dec 15, 2009, 2:27:33 AM12/15/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
hmm that might make sense, just avoiding integrating the plone logo at all, and having it in the tagline/on the side instead. attaching more rough drafts! also tried some wordings other than "powered by plone", and tried a couple means of integrating the plone 'dots' in other ways (although looking at the jpg, i can see how they might look like somethin else entirely...)

the plain ol female symbol could do the trick all on it's lonesome, especially in the plone blue. the color and wording throughout the site might be enough to tie them together anyhow. :)

and, i'm down for this irc meetup, just lemme know when & where!
logo-v3.jpg

Trish Ang

Dec 15, 2009, 2:29:51 AM12/15/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
also, totally now seeing what you mean by the chick looking like it's barfing up plone, especially with the frowny look on it's face. oops! :D

Trish Ang

Dec 15, 2009, 2:39:35 AM12/15/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
wha! how bout this logo (from the plonechix facebook!)

PloneChix

there's something i really like about this.. logo usage violations aside :)

Elizabeth Leddy

Dec 15, 2009, 2:40:06 AM12/15/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
omg I love them! the "drawn" female symbol is hot hot hot. I love the "since 2009" in #4 (but I think we have to have the dots next to the plone symbol... or else!)

also, just had a thought - what if instead of "powered by plone" it was "empowered by plone". check out the wikipedia entry for empowerment:

"Empowerment refers to increasing the spiritualpoliticalsocial or economic strength of individuals and communities. It often involves the empowered developing confidence in their own capacities."

plus it takes away a little of the femi-nazi sting I guess.

liz

Trish Ang

Dec 15, 2009, 3:08:03 AM12/15/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
ah clever! i like the twist. here're the basics, but i'll work on cleaning it up a bit later :)
logo-v4.jpg

Elizabeth Leddy

Dec 15, 2009, 2:42:27 PM12/15/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
love it!

<logo-v4.jpg>

JoAnna Springsteen

Dec 15, 2009, 9:32:20 PM12/15/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
heh yeah. my Paint skills know no limits!!
I tried to make it look edgy like graffiti. but personally, i hate pink.
I definitely like the idea of doing a kind of logo that's separate from the plone logos and using them together  in some combination.

i so wish i was more creative!