First PloneChix Project

eleddy

Nov 10, 2009, 1:16:30 PM11/10/09
to PloneChix
Hello Ladies!

We would really like to get a project going, specifically from the
women in plone. That may be a specific feature set, a branch, a
tuneup, or something else entirely. Let's get some ideas going,
either here or on the wiki at http://plonechix.pbworks.com/

eleddy

JoAnna

Nov 10, 2009, 7:04:39 PM11/10/09
to PloneChix
Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Logo
2. t-shirts
3. website
4. dig into some core Plone projects/features together.

JoAnna

Nov 10, 2009, 7:54:30 PM11/10/09
to PloneChix
I'm pretty much loving this blog post on organizing team projects:
http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/11/10/creating-a-roadmap-for-more-successful-teams/

It may be a little more rigid than what we need for this group, but I
think we should borrow some ideas from it to get ourselves organized.
I think it will help us get focused and really turn this from a good
idea into a functioning team.

J.

eleddy

Dec 4, 2009, 1:54:07 PM12/4/09
to PloneChix
Reviving this thread. I think there is something key missing for
people who go beyond basic plone installs, and that is a sweet 20-
minute whatever tutorial. Every other framework I've used has this and
its a great way to show what can be done in a short amount of time.
Now, a plone one may not be a wiki or a blog, in fact it probably
won't be that. It would, however, be a great project that people all
around plone could help with.

Thoughts?

eleddy

Dec 11, 2009, 1:52:50 PM12/11/09
to PloneChix
I know I'm banging on this drum a lot but I really think we need to
get going on a project. Another idea - I am going to talk on a panel
at sxsw this year and I could really use help preparing for the "web
framework battle" (http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ideas/view/2795). To
prepare for it I am hoping to get into all the frameworks and do a
detailed analysis on who would "win" for each point. This is more of a
zopey thing but it would still be valuable to document the ups and
downs and post. The frameworks being compared are ruby on rails,
sinatra, seaside, django, and zope.

I should have the official comparison points soon, but I'm pretty
certain one of them is going to be ease of getting going. Anyone out
there want to help me compare getting started with certain frameworks
with a hello world app (echo to be exact)? Any people who are not
developers that would like to pair up with me to learn the basics are
more than welcome - this is the perfect opportunity.

Liz

JoAnna Springsteen

Dec 11, 2009, 1:56:42 PM12/11/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to learn more about django but I doubt I'd be of much help to
you. I'm down for helping you gather your points if you want help.

J.

Elizabeth Leddy

Dec 11, 2009, 2:02:13 PM12/11/09
to plon...@googlegroups.com
Whatever, dude - you will totally be of help! I want to know what the REAL overhead of someone coming in is. Consider yourself enrolled in Django 101. Is there any app you want to make by chance? It shouldn't take more than, say, 2 hours to get something up and running. If it takes more than that - FAIL!

Oh, and hooray for the talking points as well!

Liz

JoAnna

Dec 12, 2009, 10:59:18 PM12/12/09
to PloneChix
Remember I am soooo not a programmer. I can read python and tell
what's going on but programming it ......I am very very slow.

I'll start reading up on Django and see what I even could build. Seems
overkill for a personal website but hey maybe that's a good place to
start. I'll read up and see what my options are.

Talking points I'll be much more help with!

JoAnna.