Welcome + Plone and Diversity Working Group

eleddy

Jul 5, 2010, 9:38:56 PM7/5/10
to PloneChix
Over the past few months we've added a few new members to the list. I
just wanted to take an opportunity to say welcome and encourage you to
introduce yourself to the group if you have not done so already. I
would also like to hear what kind of things everyone is working on
lately - plone and not plone. It's much easier to use each other as
resources when we know who is working on what. I, for example, have
been toiling away on a Plone 2.5 to 4 upgrade as well as working on a
project in web.py, which just may be the antithesis of Plone but has
been very fun nonetheless. If you have any questions on either please
feel free to hit me up!

Furthermore, just to let you know that a working group on diversity in
plone has been finalized and we will start planning things in the next
couple of weeks. If you are interested in participating, please feel
free to throw ideas at this mailing list or just ping back if you want
to participate in a more formal setting. Many people are genuinely
excited to see diversity (among other things) improve so now is the
time to speak up - is there anything that the Plone community can do
for you or just do better in general? Please don't feel stuck worrying
if it's "diversity" or "women" related or not - adding diversity to a
community is just as much (if not more) about diversity of opinions
than diversity in gender, color, sexual bias, etc...

And of course, suggestions to make Plone a female friendly community
are always welcome.

Looking forward to hearing from you all on your current projects!

Liz

JoAnna Springsteen

Jul 6, 2010, 8:02:13 PM7/6/10
to plon...@googlegroups.com
Hi chickies!
Contrary to popular belief, I am still alive and around. Just not
doing Plone these days.
In the past 5 months I've moved back to Iowa, worked two different
contract gigs doing tech writing, started a local happy hour group in
order to legitimize my drinking habits, and even managed to land me a
boyfriend (!!). I'm getting settled in my new place and catching up
with friends and family.
My computer is also slowly dying and I don't have a very open internet
connection at work these days so I just haven't been around online as
much. But I'm still here and still keeping tabs on things!
If anyone needs any help with their various projects, let me know! I
don't have a ton of free time (or computer power) but I'm always
willing to help where I can.
Liz- definitely interested in helping with the diversity stuff. Let me
know what you guys need!

In the mean time, if you happen to have questions on proprietary
mainframe financial systems, I'm your girl!

Cheers!
JoAnna

Trish Ang

Jul 15, 2010, 2:44:33 PM7/15/10
to plon...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

My day job is still designing and building Plone sites for a never-ending queue of centers on campus. The main one I've been working on lately is ffhi.ucdavis.edu but it's not quite ready to launch yet. In a month or two my coworker and I are hoping to take a break to finally play around with Plone 4 and deliverance! We're also hoping to catch the next Plone lounge meet up in the Bay, and/or to pull a road trip to see what UCLA is doing with Plone at one of their meetings someday. :)

The Plone conference would be awesome to go to, soo we might try and fundraise our way there, but it seems like a lofty goal... We've started blogging a little for our work at http://cru.caes.ucdavis.edu but it's still in progress and not too pretty yet.

As for other happenings in my life, I'm moving to a new spot in Davis soonish, and I've got a month+ old baby niece around now!

I'd love to help out on the diversity front, Liz. Let me know what I can do. :)

trish