Plone vs Joomla?

Jon H

Mar 24, 2010, 12:19:10 PM3/24/10
to Plone Users Wessex
Comments? Suggestions? General abuse?

Rick Hurst

Mar 24, 2010, 12:22:30 PM3/24/10
to plone-use...@googlegroups.com
what's the context? I've never used it, but by all accounts Joomla is supposed to be very crufty, even by PHP standards.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Jon H <m...@jon-hadley.com> wrote:
Comments? Suggestions? General abuse?

Rick Hurst, Freelance Web Developer, Bristol, UK
http://olivewoodstudio.com
http://www.rickhurst.co.uk
http://twitter.com/rickhurst

Ed Crewe

Mar 24, 2010, 12:32:34 PM3/24/10
to plone-use...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Not sure I'd agree there, I think Joomla is mean to be a bit
cleaner MVC than Drupal or Wordpress for example.

Although I agree it all depends on scale and use case.

1 person blog to multi-tenancy Enterprise desktop integrated CMS
for thousands of users goes roughly along this line:

Wordpress - Joomla - Drupal - Plone - Alfresco

So if you dont need much more than an extended blog its probably
easier than Plone.

Cheers,
Ed

Ed Crewe ( Web Developer - ID Group ) ed.c...@bris.ac.uk
Institute for Learning and Research Technology ILRT
University of Bristol Information Services +44 117 3314386
8-10 Berkeley Square, Bristol, BS8 1HH http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Rick Hurst wrote:

> what's the context? I've never used it, but by all accounts Joomla is
> supposed to be very crufty, even by PHP standards.
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Jon H <m...@jon-hadley.com> wrote:
>
>> Comments? Suggestions? General abuse?
>>
>> --

>> plone-users-wes...@googlegroups.com<plone-users-wessex%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Rick Hurst

Mar 24, 2010, 12:41:24 PM3/24/10
to plone-use...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Ed Crewe <Ed.C...@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

Not sure I'd agree there, I think Joomla is mean to be a bit cleaner MVC than Drupal or Wordpress for example.

That's interesting - i've never used it or developeed with it, so only going on hearsay - people say the same things about wordpress and drupal, which I have worked with and would agree that they are both fairly crufty (but do the job they are intended for!)

Ed Crewe

Mar 24, 2010, 12:50:57 PM3/24/10
to plone-use...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have to be honest and say that I have only developed with plone,
wordpress and drupal too (which are what we use at work). Although I
have set up Alfresco and Joomla for a review comparison exercise.

We found that Joomla was a bit to simple / lacking in plugins to do
quick small sites, compared with Drupal. But I admit it may just look
cleaner, could be just as hacky when you actually code with it.