Plone 4 beta

Fraser Stephens

Mar 25, 2010, 1:47:54 PM3/25/10
to plone-users-wessex
I really need to restart my project support site (currently
http://www.heliosscm.org:8080/helios/) and since it is Plone 3, and
has various products that have cause me problems (and restrict
migration) as well as lots of outdated data, the simplest thing is
going to be to start a new site. (In fact the simplest thing is going
to be to find someone to do it for me... as I (shock horror) might
actually have a budget to do this soon.)

Should I move to Plone 4...? Beta I know, but in the past I've found
"plone" and "bleeding edge" go together so that being beta or not does
not always make much of a difference? Or am I just making things hard
for myself (or for someone who wants a bit of work setting up a
functional support site?)

F.

--
Fraser Stephens

adam cheasley

Mar 25, 2010, 2:35:00 PM3/25/10
to plone-use...@googlegroups.com

I found plone 4 perfectly usable and stable. I would say that dexterity is not ready for anything but simple content types at this point though.

Fraser Stephens

Apr 8, 2010, 10:31:36 AM4/8/10
to plone-use...@googlegroups.com
Where is the best place to find out what works (or does not) with
Plone 4? Experimenting briefly reminds me the frustration that
occasional users of Plone must go though each and every time they
upgrade a (working) site, trying to work out which products they have
used no longer work.

In my case I want to keep the site as standard as possible: I've been
burnt before by using products that turn out to have no development
and lead to a dead end (taking their content with them). However I do
need some form of forum, FAQ at a minimum. I'm sorry to say that the
software and help centre products - both which have lots of great
features - have caused me so much hassle in the past I'm going to
avoid them.

F.

--
Fraser Stephens