[Evangelism] Fwd: Plone.Com project changes

Steve McMahon

Nov 18, 2013, 11:51:11 AM11/18/13
to plone-ev...@lists.plone.org
Hi Evangelism and Communications lists,

Eric Rozeboom, who the Plone Foundation Board asked in May to be project manager for the plone.com go-live, has let us know that he's no longer able to continue with this responsibility. We very much appreciate all the work that Eric has done on this.

The board has asked Elizabeth Leddy to pick up project-management responsibilities for the debut, with the charge to go live with a first iteration based on work to-date. Ramon is moving that from Eric's server to a github repository.

Liz's work on this will just be the first iteration, and we expect it to be done quickly.

The board would very much like to hear your thoughts on how subsequent iterations should be planned and managed. Drop us a note <bo...@plone.org> or discuss it on one of these lists. We'll listen!

Thanks and best wishes, Steve McMahon
for the PF Board

T. Kim Nguyen

Nov 18, 2013, 11:34:16 PM11/18/13
to Steve McMahon, plone-ev...@lists.plone.org
The beta site looks great, and +1 on getting a first iteration out the door and just going live.

    Kim

Shigeo Honda

Nov 19, 2013, 8:49:45 PM11/19/13
to plone-ev...@lists.plone.org
Hi,

How can I check 'plone.com' site? plone.com redirect to plone.org.

Cheers,
--
:: Shigeo Honda
:: shigeo...@gmai.com

T. Kim Nguyen

Nov 19, 2013, 9:03:04 PM11/19/13
to Shigeo Honda, plone-ev...@lists.plone.org
It's at http://plone.rebelx.nl/ for now.

    Kim

920-292-0863 mobile/Google Voice

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

Chris Calloway

Nov 20, 2013, 10:26:55 AM11/20/13
to plone-ev...@lists.plone.org
On 11/19/2013 9:03 PM, T. Kim Nguyen wrote:
> It's at http://plone.rebelx.nl/ for now.

Couple of editorial nits: "The United Nations" not "United Nations."
"Brazilian government" not "Brazil government." Also, don't end a list
with ", etc." Grammar and style are most important on a marketing site.

The front page is very pretty. Are the links supposed to go anywhere?
When we are talking about releasing it as is, are we talking about
releasing it with all dead links in the header and footer navigation?

Also, would this get proper hosting and deployment when released?
Because right now it does the Plone thing with a lot of spinning before
displaying the front page a minute later or simply ending up with a
naked timeout on http://10.0.0.37:8012/Plone. I couldn't tell if the key
features links go anywhere because they all timeout.

Without the navigation, content, and deployment being fixed, I'd be very
-1 on releasing it as is. It is a very pretty design. But it is an
anti-marketing site as is.

The scrolling sponsors at the bottom is awesome.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall phone: (919) 599-3530

Gabrielle Hendryx-Parker

Nov 20, 2013, 10:42:23 AM11/20/13
to plone-ev...@lists.plone.org
I agree with Chris. What is on the RebelX server looks pretty but doesn't seem to have production-ready content yet.

The scrolling sponsor area at the bottom will also need to be updated with real content. And... do we have permission from all those companies to use their logos?

Thank you,
Gabrielle
--
Six Feet Up, Inc. | Where sophisticated web projects thrive
Direct Line: +1 (317) 861-5948 x601

ngu...@uwosh.edu

Nov 20, 2013, 11:26:10 AM11/20/13
to Gabrielle Hendryx-Parker, plone-ev...@lists.plone.org
To clarify, the email Eric Rozeboom sent out to the Plone.com project group was that he was stepping back from the project. The http://plone.rebelx.nl site was created on his server to let us view the project's work to date. That particular site will be taken offline shortly; Ramon and I have asked Eric for the files so Ramon can post them on Github and so I can host a new work-in-progress site (unless someone has a better place to put it and has the time to handle it).

The text, links, and logos currently there are draft placeholders.

The project needs continued work and contributions. For that we will be looking to Liz for a plan.

Kim

Steve McMahon

Nov 20, 2013, 11:41:58 AM11/20/13
to Gabrielle Hendryx-Parker, plone-ev...@lists.plone.org
Liz is project-managing the go-live. And, go live it will. If you would like to help Liz fix things before it goes live, drop her a note.

I'm sure the sponsor list will be updated. Unworking content and links to nowhere will be fixed or omitted.

The board has made some hosting resources available to Liz; I have no worries about the competence of the deployment.

And, let's start hearing suggestions on planning and goals for a second iteration!