[Plone-developers] plone.org upgrade to Plone 4.2b2 complete

David Glick

Mar 20, 2012, 3:20:00 AM3/20/12
to Plone Developers
FYI...with some help from Alex Clark, I've upgraded plone.org to Plone
4.2b2 (from something embarrassingly old...4.0.whatever was current a
year ago). Please let me know or file a Website ticket in trac if you
notice any problems.

The most noteworthy change: We're now using plone.app.theming and Diazo
to apply the theme (plonetheme.ploneorg) rather than their predecessors.
Among other things this means we no longer need a custom build of nginx
and no longer need the unthemed manage.plone.org in order to access the
ZMI (due to a smarter condition on the theming).

\o/
David

----------
David Glick
Web Developer
david...@groundwire.org
206.286.1235x32

The Engagement Party 2012. So much more fun than the wedding reception.

http://www.npoengagementparty.com

Yuri

Mar 20, 2012, 3:29:38 AM3/20/12
to plone-de...@lists.sourceforge.net
Il 20/03/2012 08:20, David Glick ha scritto:
> FYI...with some help from Alex Clark, I've upgraded plone.org to Plone
> 4.2b2 (from something embarrassingly old...4.0.whatever was current a
> year ago). Please let me know or file a Website ticket in trac if you
> notice any problems.
>
> The most noteworthy change: We're now using plone.app.theming and Diazo
> to apply the theme (plonetheme.ploneorg) rather than their predecessors.
> Among other things this means we no longer need a custom build of nginx
> and no longer need the unthemed manage.plone.org in order to access the
> ZMI (due to a smarter condition on the theming).
>
> \o/
> David

Great work! Seems a lot faster.

If you go here: http://plone.org/products (but also in other part of the
site) you can see how the site loads unthemed (css), then the css is
applied. This gives a bad flash effect.

Jean Jordaan

Mar 20, 2012, 5:13:23 AM3/20/12
to Yuri, plone-de...@lists.sourceforge.net
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Yuri <yu...@alfa.it> wrote:
> If you go here: http://plone.org/products (but also in other part of the
> site) you can see how the site loads unthemed (css), then the css is applied.
> This gives a bad flash effect.

Yes, I noticed this also. On other Diazo sites I've seen the same, as well as
the site being rendered unthemed on occasion.

--
jean                                              . .. .... //\\\oo///\\

Laurence Rowe

Mar 20, 2012, 6:57:41 AM3/20/12
to Jean Jordaan, plone-de...@lists.sourceforge.net
On 20 March 2012 09:13, Jean Jordaan <jean.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Yuri <yu...@alfa.it> wrote:
>> If you go here: http://plone.org/products (but also in other part of the
>> site) you can see how the site loads unthemed (css), then the css is applied.
>> This gives a bad flash effect.
>
> Yes, I noticed this also. On other Diazo sites I've seen the same, as well as
> the site being rendered unthemed on occasion.

The flash effect is down to the theme CSS being placed beneath the RR
javascript - javascript blocks page rendering unless you set the async
or defer attributes. Generally you should place all CSS before all JS
to avoid this.

If the site is rendered unthemed then that normally means there has
been an error during theming (perhaps due to a subrequest or a tal
parameter.) See the recent discussion on this.

Laurence

Laurence Rowe

Mar 20, 2012, 6:59:49 AM3/20/12
to David Glick, Plone Developers
On 20 March 2012 07:20, David Glick <david...@groundwire.org> wrote:
> FYI...with some help from Alex Clark, I've upgraded plone.org to Plone
> 4.2b2 (from something embarrassingly old...4.0.whatever was current a
> year ago). Please let me know or file a Website ticket in trac if you
> notice any problems.
>
> The most noteworthy change: We're now using plone.app.theming and Diazo
> to apply the theme (plonetheme.ploneorg) rather than their predecessors.
> Among other things this means we no longer need a custom build of nginx
> and no longer need the unthemed manage.plone.org in order to access the
> ZMI (due to a smarter condition on the theming).

Yay! It feels much faster. Did you add Chameleon too?

Laurence

Alex Clark

Mar 20, 2012, 10:04:47 AM3/20/12
On 3/20/12 6:59 AM, Laurence Rowe wrote:
> On 20 March 2012 07:20, David Glick<david...@groundwire.org> wrote:
>> FYI...with some help from Alex Clark, I've upgraded plone.org to Plone
>> 4.2b2 (from something embarrassingly old...4.0.whatever was current a
>> year ago). Please let me know or file a Website ticket in trac if you
>> notice any problems.
>>
>> The most noteworthy change: We're now using plone.app.theming and Diazo
>> to apply the theme (plonetheme.ploneorg) rather than their predecessors.
>> Among other things this means we no longer need a custom build of nginx
>> and no longer need the unthemed manage.plone.org in order to access the
>> ZMI (due to a smarter condition on the theming).
>
> Yay! It feels much faster. Did you add Chameleon too?

You can check the buildout, but if IIRC: no. Not sure though. Even
better, you can make changes to it:

- https://github.com/plone/Products.PloneOrg

Then ping the AI team in #plone.org and we'll git pull the changes to
staging.plone.org for testing \o/

If they look good, we'll feel confident pulling them to production. This
is indeed great progress.

Alex

--
Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com

David Glick (GW)

Mar 20, 2012, 12:13:06 PM3/20/12
to Laurence Rowe, Plone Developers

On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:59 AM, Laurence Rowe wrote:

> On 20 March 2012 07:20, David Glick <david...@groundwire.org> wrote:
>> FYI...with some help from Alex Clark, I've upgraded plone.org to Plone
>> 4.2b2 (from something embarrassingly old...4.0.whatever was current a
>> year ago). Please let me know or file a Website ticket in trac if you
>> notice any problems.
>>
>> The most noteworthy change: We're now using plone.app.theming and Diazo
>> to apply the theme (plonetheme.ploneorg) rather than their predecessors.
>> Among other things this means we no longer need a custom build of nginx
>> and no longer need the unthemed manage.plone.org in order to access the
>> ZMI (due to a smarter condition on the theming).
>
> Yay! It feels much faster. Did you add Chameleon too?

No, but thanks to a patch from Luca Cipriani we're now gzipping some more mimetypes. Hanno's catalog improvements in Plone 4.1 probably also make a difference.
David

----------
David Glick
Web Developer
david...@groundwire.org
206.286.1235x32

The Engagement Party 2012. So much more fun than the wedding reception.

http://www.npoengagementparty.com

Alan Runyan

Mar 21, 2012, 12:33:40 PM3/21/12
to David Glick (GW), Plone Developers
>> Yay! It feels much faster. Did you add Chameleon too?
>
> No, but thanks to a patch from Luca Cipriani we're now gzipping some more mimetypes. Hanno's catalog improvements in Plone 4.1 probably also make a difference.
> David

If someone is watching the error_logs (maybe streaming them to a
mailing list?) - I would rcommend trying to use Chameleon.
While it may cause some short term pain - we should iron out the
wrinkles. Ploud seems to have no more Chameleon errors (all required
changes merged upstream) and on other projects we occasionally find
ZPT oddities/Chameleon problems but they are obvious & easily fixable.

If Plone.org runs Chameleon - it is another data point people can use
in their decision of using Chameleon in production. Which is
extremely helpful for people making decisions.

NOTE: In the beginning of Ploud we created a public page that I shared
with 3rd party add-on authors so they could see some of the exceptions
we were getting inside of Ploud. I felt this was valuable.

MailingLogger + mailing list is simplest. We can change the
configuration of PloneOrg product to use that.

--
Alan Runyan

Skype/Twitter:: runyaga
Office:: 713.942.2377 ext 111
http://ploud.com/  Plone site in less than 10 seconds

Alex Clark

Mar 21, 2012, 1:01:17 PM3/21/12
On 3/21/12 12:33 PM, Alan Runyan wrote:
>>> Yay! It feels much faster. Did you add Chameleon too?
>>
>> No, but thanks to a patch from Luca Cipriani we're now gzipping some more mimetypes. Hanno's catalog improvements in Plone 4.1 probably also make a difference.
>> David
>
> If someone is watching the error_logs (maybe streaming them to a
> mailing list?) - I would rcommend trying to use Chameleon.
> While it may cause some short term pain - we should iron out the
> wrinkles. Ploud seems to have no more Chameleon errors (all required
> changes merged upstream) and on other projects we occasionally find
> ZPT oddities/Chameleon problems but they are obvious& easily fixable.

> If Plone.org runs Chameleon - it is another data point people can use
> in their decision of using Chameleon in production. Which is
> extremely helpful for people making decisions.
>
> NOTE: In the beginning of Ploud we created a public page that I shared
> with 3rd party add-on authors so they could see some of the exceptions
> we were getting inside of Ploud. I felt this was valuable.
>
> MailingLogger + mailing list is simplest. We can change the
> configuration of PloneOrg product to use that.

w00t! That's a great idea. Maurits just upgraded Poi and I just deployed
it to staging. We could do the same process for your suggestions, if
someone wants to help by adding Chameleon + MailingLogger.

Whoever does this: please test local by adding a Plone site to test
basic functionality, then we'll move to the test-on-staging step.

Alex

--
Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com