Plings Data Anomalies

Nic Colley

Jul 28, 2009, 6:05:29 AM7/28/09
to pli...@googlegroups.com, Guy Giles

David,

We have discovered some discrepancies in the Durham data, between that displayed on the Plings website and the data made available through the Plings API. Please see attached screenshots from two separate communication channels on Friday 24th July - you'll notice there are no activities listed for "Today" in our plugin, but 8 on the Plings website.

I raised this issue with our lead developer John Latham and he made the following comment:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Latham - 27/Jul/09 05:30 PM

Obviously today's data is different to Friday's (when the problem was reported) but there do seem to be discrepancies.

For example, the website currently shows:

- Youth Club, Monday 27th Jul 5:00 PM, Brandon Carrside Youth Centre
Activity ID=172134, Venue ID=55822
- Sedgefield Sportsability Club, Monday 27th Jul 5:00 PM, Spennymoor Leisure Centre
Activity ID=171080, Venue ID=56586
- Open Swim sessions - For young people with disabilities, Monday 27th Jul 5:00 PM, Newton Aycliffe Leisure Centre
Activity ID=171082, Venue ID=56587
- Girls Group, Monday 27th Jul 6:00 PM, Brandon Carrside Youth Centre
Activity ID=172136, Venue ID=55829
- Girls Group, Monday 27th Jul 6:00 PM, Brandon Carrside Youth Centre
Activity ID=172135, Venue ID=55829
- Girls Cheerleading Session, Monday 27th Jul 8:15 PM, The Village Hall
Activity ID=172360, Venue ID=54877

The plugin shows the 3 activities at Brandon Carrside Youth Centre (which is represented in the data under two venue codes, 55822 and 55829) but not the others, in venues 56586,56587 and 54877.

The authority codes for these venues are:

55822 -> 20UE (Durham)
55829 -> 20UE (Durham)
56586 -> 20UG (Sedgefield)
56587 -> 20UG (Sedgefield)
54877 -> 00CL (South Tyneside)

The Durham microsite is associated with the Durham local authority code, therefore the PLINGS plugin does not show the activities whose venues are associated with other authorities.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There do seem to be a number of data anomalies - can you investigate?

Best regards,

Nic Colley
______________________________________

DigiTV Project Manager
Looking Local (formerly DigiTV)
Owned and managed by Kirklees Council

Office: 01757 638154
Mobile: 07708126531
Skype: nic.colley

DigiTV Helpdesk: 0845 4348540

Durham No Plings.jpg
Durham Plings Website.jpg

stevieflow

Jul 28, 2009, 6:28:16 AM7/28/09
to Plings Developer Support
Hi Nic

Thanks for this

Yes - this is a problem we have encountered that is specific to
Durham. As you may know, Durham became a unitary authority from the
1st April, and so now actually has a new code (00EJ).

Unfortunately,.The Office for National Statistics (ONS), who we work
with via their NHSPD product

http://www.ons.gov.uk/about-statistics/geography/products/geog-products-postcode/nhspd/index.html

have not yet made the update in their product. Ive been in contact
with them and they assure me that this update will be in the next
edition (August 09).

We will make our updates then - I did add a note to the wiki

http://www.plings.info/wiki/index.php/Local_Authority_Code

For the website we therefore made a postcode call rather than a local
authority boundary call - in order to bring in more data

Sorry - but it seems to be a victim of changing boundaries for the
short term

Thanks

Steven