Output API - JSON

David Carpenter

Sep 30, 2009, 8:08:09 AM9/30/09
to Plings Developer Support
We're very pleased to announce that Plings data is now available in
the JSON format.

You can access data in this format without the need for an API key for
client side applications. By default 20 results are returned in
response to your API call. You can override this default to between 0
and 200 results using the 'MaxResults' parameter. By using the 'Page'
parameter you can get data beyond that.

If you are building a server-side application we anticipate that many
people will prefer the XML output for which an API key is required. If
your server-side application would prefer JSON you will be able, in
time, to get large amounts of JSON data by POSTing your API key along
with your request.
(If you want this let us know!)

JSON data is available now. We hope that the fields are consistent
with the XML fields, and that the documentation on the wiki (http://
plings.info/wiki/) has been adequately updated to show you how to use
it.

See: http://www.plings.info/wiki/index.php/Plings_Output_API#JSON_.E2.80.93_json.activity.php
for more detail
.

Any questions, queries, bugs or problems, please post them here.

If you build anything cool (or even just functional!) we'd like to
know about it.

Sample requests:

http://feeds.plings.net/json.activity.php/1/la/00BS

will return the first 20 results for activities taking place today and
tomorrow in Stockport (00BS)

http://feeds.plings.net/json.activity.php/1/la/00BS?MaxResults=50

will return the first 50 results for activities taking place today and
tomorrow in Stockport (00BS)

http://feeds.plings.net/json.activity.php/1/la/00BS?MaxResults=200&Page=2

will return 200 results (201 - 400) for activities taking place today
and tomorrow in Stockport (00BS) if there are that many!

David - APB

Oct 1, 2009, 8:15:28 AM10/1/09
to Plings Developer Support
We've had some initial feedback from Howie from www.microbubble.co.uk
about the JSON service.

Just a note to people making client side apps, the JSONP callback
support you might require is available.

Howie has supplied an example/test app to show it action - with two
examples - one that should fail and one that should work!

We're not really big javascript experts here at Substance - (we can
implement the odd jQuery function) - so feedback, suggestions, ideas,
code, etc all welcome.

Please be warned, that currently we have a low level of user tracking
on the JSON service, that we suspect we may need to tighten up in the
coming months. Typically this would mean tying api keys to domains -
these would need to be different keys to the 'read' keys we currently
supply (we are already reviewing API keys to make then less
beaurocratic). So beware that the data could suddenly be cut off if
these were turned on... So widget makers etc may just need to stay in
touch with this list to stay informed.

Cheers
David

On 30 Sep, 13:08, David Carpenter <da...@substance.coop> wrote:
> We're very pleased to announce that Plings data is now available in
> the JSON format.
>
> You can access data in this format without the need for an API key for
> client side applications. By default 20 results are returned in
> response to your API call. You can override this default to between 0
> and 200 results using the 'MaxResults' parameter. By using the 'Page'
> parameter you can get data beyond that.
>
> If you are building a server-side application we anticipate that many
> people will prefer the XML output for which an API key is required. If
> your server-side application would prefer JSON you will be able, in
> time, to get large amounts of JSON data by POSTing your API key along
> with your request.
> (If you want this let us know!)
>
> JSON data is available now. We hope that the fields are consistent
> with the XML fields, and that the documentation on the wiki (http://
> plings.info/wiki/) has been adequately updated to show you how to use
> it.
>
> See:http://www.plings.info/wiki/index.php/Plings_Output_API#JSON_.E2.80.9...
> for more detail
> .
>
> Any questions, queries, bugs or problems, please post them here.
>
> If you build anything cool (or even just functional!) we'd like to
> know about it.
>
> Sample requests:
>
> http://feeds.plings.net/json.activity.php/1/la/00BS
>
> will return the first 20 results for activities taking place today and
> tomorrow in Stockport (00BS)
>
> http://feeds.plings.net/json.activity.php/1/la/00BS?MaxResults=50
>
> will return the first 50 results for activities taking place today and
> tomorrow in Stockport (00BS)
>
> http://feeds.plings.net/json.activity.php/1/la/00BS?MaxResults=200&Pa...

David - APB

Oct 1, 2009, 8:30:16 AM10/1/09
to Plings Developer Support
Ooops - sorry mean to add the link to Howie's Code:

http://www.plings.info/wiki/index.php/JSON_Tester

Cheers
David