Building on OSX

Kevin Newman

May 28, 2013, 7:22:26 PM5/28/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to build on OSX, and just have some questions (these are total noob questions - I'm generally new to OSX's command line tools).

I've tried following the guide from mono-project.org, but that doesn't seem to work on Mountain Lion. I think I've gotten most of the way there from some googling, but these are the remaining questions:

1. Can I invoke ./autogen.sh instead of ./configure with the same prefix, and arguments? I used brew to install automake, but I can't get ./configure to work, it just always says a version of file not found. It seems to work, but I want to make sure there are no side effects.
1.b. If anyone knows why ./configure doesn't work, I'd be greatful for the tip!
2. I used --prefix=/Users/kevin/playscript-mono-inst, but I don't see that directory - did I misunderstand what was supposed to happen? I though it would put the compiled binaries in that folder.

I guess it's really just that one question.

Thanks,

Kevin N.

Kevin Newman

May 28, 2013, 7:25:45 PM5/28/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Oh, heh, I got the answer to #2, I had to finish the steps.

Also, sorry for the mangled inadequately edited content, I usually use an email client for mailing lists, but my posts keep getting eaten, so I'm suffering through the google web interface.

Kevin N.

Ben Cooley

May 31, 2013, 3:40:37 AM5/31/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Right, you use ./autogen.sh, not configure.  The Mono OSX build instructions don't really make that clear.

I also copy the last two parameters from the build instructions (no-nls, and the other one).  Not sure what they do, but I've always used them.

mark gamache

May 31, 2013, 1:41:08 PM5/31/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Kevin, post if you can get it built. I am still unable get it to work. Autogen.sh reports:

/Users/mark/Documents/playscript-mono-master/libgc/missing: Unknown `--is-lightweight' option
Try `/Users/mark/Documents/playscript-mono-master/libgc/missing --help' for more information
configure: WARNING: 'missing' script is too old or missing

I don't know if this is causing the downstream error, but make and make install are not working.