Initial Flash Telemetry Support now checked into master.

Ben Cooley

Aug 29, 2013, 9:48:14 PM8/29/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Initial support for Flash Telemetry has been checked into master.  This include support for frame times, memory, and various other stats.

Currently no support for call stack sampling but that is very likely to be added in the future.

This means that PlayScript games can now be profiled using Adobe Scout.

Kevin Newman

Aug 31, 2013, 1:36:45 PM8/31/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome! Will memory profiling work for C#, or just code written in PS/AS3?

Kevin N.

Ben Cooley

Sep 17, 2013, 3:25:57 PM9/17/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Everything works AFAIK.  The method call for memory tracking is there but it has to be manually called from your game.  If you're interested Icer could probably give you a bit more information on how it works.

We're now pretty much using Scout for most of our profiling, and have stopped using instruments.  Another advantage is that Scout works on Android too so we don't have to use two different profilers.

Ben Cooley

Sep 17, 2013, 7:04:35 PM9/17/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
On C#, the profiler shows the entire call stack as well, including the native calls - which is really great compared to AIR.

The GC system for C# and PlayScript are shared, so when you plug memory profiling in, it will be for both.  Also the profiler will work for pure C# projects so you could potentially use it without PlayScript.  The code that implements telementry is written in C#, and could be extracted to a library that did not depend on any AS/PlayScript code.

Kevin Newman

Sep 19, 2013, 9:28:31 AM9/19/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
That's great!