Getting the Demos running

mark gamache

May 20, 2013, 8:59:05 AM5/20/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
I am having issues getting the projects posted on github working (I am primarily interested in away3d)

Here's the problems that I see:

away3d-app-monotouch

I am able to compile the source without a problem, but running the app in the simulator generates the following error:

player.cs line #126

DisplayObject displayObject = System.Activator.CreateInstance(type) as DisplayObject;
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation

PlayScript.Application.iOS

This won't allow me to debug or run without changing it's compile type to executable.  After changing the compile type to executable I get an error:

Error CS5001: Program `PlayScriptApplicationiOS.exe' does not contain a static `Main' method suitable for an entry point (CS5001) (PlayScript.Application.iOS)

Does anyone have thoughts?

This is a fantastic project, I can't wait to get it working.

I would like a simple tutorial on how to get a simple Away3D project to display on an iOS screen. I am a Monotouch developer that has worked with AS3 in the past (not Stage3D apps).

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

mark gamache

May 20, 2013, 2:16:40 PM5/20/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Okay I now understand the role of the PlayScript.Application.iOS so ignore that comment/question. I was able to get the  Basic_View,  Basic_Shading  and  Basic_Particles demos working but they don't seem to be loading any textures and the other sample classes ( Basic_SkyBox  etc..)  had the error from my previous post.

Ben Cooley

May 20, 2013, 2:30:39 PM5/20/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Not all of the Away3D demos are working yet.  Some are still gated on work that is ongoing on the core runtime libraries (and a few remaining compiler bugs).

Specifically, collada import is not woking (we still have some E4X issues in both the compiler and runtime).

If you try to run an away3D demo and are getting a NotImplementedException, you may want to just go and add some of the missing functionality in the runtime library if it's relatively simple, and send us a pull request.

mark gamache

May 20, 2013, 3:35:03 PM5/20/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
I will look for NotImplementedExeptions, but It looks like my errors are from null bitmap data due to the Embeds not working properly.  It tries to create a  BitmapCubeTexture from null data and dies. I would be happy to update the projects if you point me in the right direction.

Ben Cooley

May 22, 2013, 4:30:02 AM5/22/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Another possibility is that you have an older build of the compiler that did not have [Embed] implemented yet.  Did you build the compiler from trunk?

mark gamache

May 22, 2013, 10:00:00 AM5/22/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
I used whatever is posted on the getting started page:

It sounds like that it the issue.

ad...@tumfoolery.com

May 24, 2013, 9:04:29 AM5/24/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
well... I can't get any of the mono source (playscript or the mono-master) to compile successfully. the autogen.sh seems to run without error, but I get a handful of make errors. I am new to OSX so my ability to troubleshoot is limited (Google search doesn't help with the errors).

Any chance that you can post an updated build?

thanks,
mark

Ben Cooley

May 31, 2013, 3:37:40 AM5/31/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Sure.  I'll upload a new build tomorrow.

mark gamache

May 31, 2013, 5:01:01 PM5/31/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
That would be fantastic thanks!

Ben Cooley

Jun 4, 2013, 3:22:33 AM6/4/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
The latest build has been uploaded to:

We have updated the README and github pages documents to point to this latest binary.

mark gamache

Jun 4, 2013, 9:17:06 AM6/4/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Very cool, thanks.