::THIS WEEK:: 8-bit Game Design Workshop in New York City

1 view

Derek Lomas

Jun 22, 2010, 7:21:13 AM6/22/10
to playpo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

If you are in the New York area, we'd love to see you this Friday!  We're hosting a 2 day workshop at NYU to introduce 8-bit game design to local artists and game designers.  Workshop participants will learn how to make sprites and graphics in YY-CHR, music in Famitracker, and even begin coding in assembly, using some example code by Don Miller. We're hosting the workshop to increase the number of people who can make functional contributions to Playpower in the form of graphics,
music, and game design.  It will be a great time, so we'd love to see you there!

If you're interested in attending, please fill out this form ASAP. We will send out confirmations over the next two days.

The workshop will be streamed live online.  I'll send more details about that soon.

-----The Info-----
This Friday and Saturday, Playpower is offering a free Playpower 8-Bit Game Design Workshop @ NYU.

The workshop will be led by Playpower founder Derek Lomas, Playpower programmer Kishan Patel, 8-bit artist Don Miller, and NYU professor Chris Hoadley (host).

The workshop is meant for those who would like to:
  • Help further develop Playpower's current suite of games (e.g., Hanuman Typing Warrior, Hanuman Quiz Adventure, Malaria Prevention prototype)
  • Learn the basics of 8-bit game design
  • Join Playpower's growing volunteer network!

Playpower Workshop Draft Agenda --
Friday & Saturday, June 25-26, 2010, 10am-6pm

FRIDAY - Introduction to Playpower; technical training; storyboarding
  • Welcome & Continental Breakfast (provided)
  • Playpower general intro
  • Technical intro
  • Design scenarios
  • Demos
  • Working lunch (provided) -- informal discussions, brainstorming, question answer
  • Brainstorming (IDEO HCD)
  • Storyboarding, content creation, pixel art
  • Works-in-Progress Presentations & Feedback
SATURDAY -- Content creation day
  • Continental Breakfast (provided)
  • Opening presentation (8bitpeoples)
  • Content Challenge begins
  • Lunch (provided)
  • Works-in-Progress Presentations & Feedback
  • Wrap up