starting up the mailing list again --comments?

Derek Lomas

Oct 4, 2010, 11:46:51 AM10/4/10
to playpo...@googlegroups.com
Because blog comments on Ning are not really the best way of disseminating questions or responses on technical matters. (Ning has lots of issues, in fact.  Not quite sure what to use it for, except aggregating newcomers.)
...take a look at this recent comment on a blog post in Ning:
by Neil S 1 minute ago
I'm new to the forum. I'd like to learn what the hardware looks like for doing the keyboard interfacing as I'm a bit confused by it. I understand it lives at $4016/7 like a joystick port, but from what I understand at least with a VC02 chip, only the serial d-pad interface exists at those addresses. Does the SUBOR use some other NOAC with the keyboard interface built in, or is there some way of externally getting at the whole register addressed by $4016/4017?

What I'd really like to know is if there is a way of adding the keyboard function to some single chip NES which is readily available here in the UK, e.g. a SuperJoy III. Other than that I think I could map a similar behaving interface somewhere externally accessible in PGM space and have the address defined by a macro so that it can be reassembled to work on a real SUBOR. Would that be workable?
http://volunteers.playpower.org/profiles/blogs/first-challenge-defeated

This seems like it would benefit from the mailing list.  So, here is a proposed division of labor:

PlaypowerTech mailing list would include posts about:
1. Software Development, for those actively making games
2. Getting started making games, for the newbies
3. NES/clone hardware
4. Software development tools (including the graphics tools, cc65 and NESi65, etc)

volunteers.playpower.org would include posts about:
1. Game Design, storyboarding, etc
2. Building community participation and infrastructure
3. Other non-technical posts and announcements

Is that a good division?  Any prior experience from other mailing lists that you could share?

Also, does anyone know the answer to Neil's post??
Comments appreciated...
Cheers,
Derek

d...@no-carrier.com

Oct 5, 2010, 12:11:46 PM10/5/10
to playpo...@googlegroups.com
Hey, all:

I think that sounds like a good division. I'm up for talking about dev and hardware things over e-mail more than checking in on the site. I also agree that community building is a positive part of the volunteers.playpower.org experience.

Don

Noah Vawter

Oct 5, 2010, 5:26:57 PM10/5/10
to playpo...@googlegroups.com

yeah I wonder if I can be useful with my hardware design I started a while ago...  I know there was some hardware designed similar to the NES programming adaptors...