Spotify resolver

Steven Robertson

Sep 14, 2010, 5:08:28 PM9/14/10
to playdar
I'm interested in developing a Spotify resolver for Playdar. I've
looked into this and convinced that it's feasible, started some
prototyping with libspotify-sharp and then C and Erlang integration
with C looks useful in this case in particular.

I intend to complete the resolver in C as an external program with
byte-oriented communication with Erlang, the preferred Erlang
interfacing technique, then as a module in Playdar - specifically to
support cross-platform usage rather than depend on Mono - though
libspotify-sharp would seem to be a better option than other language-
bindings currently available (Ruby or Python).

The licence for libspotify might not allow it and it would be a shame
to make the effort and be unable to provide it. I'm hoping that we'll
be able to confirm this. Spotify could provide one of the best sources
for a resolver, and worth having a premium account, for me at least,
if it can provide a content resolution and streaming service within
the Playdar integration framework. It could be one of the best.

Lucas Gonze

Sep 14, 2010, 6:39:50 PM9/14/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
How do you remote control playback in the Spotify client, Steven? Is
there a libspotify call for it?

Steven Robertson

Sep 15, 2010, 4:31:32 AM9/15/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Initial prototyping confirms that I can stream audio from Spotify rather than having to play music through Spotify. I have transferred an mp3 stream via LAME and then HTTP. I assume it will be possible to transcode to Ogg and possibly AAC too.

I've become uncomfortable with having Playdar perform some role something like mpd. I believe that the web application potential is more important, but it's possible that this could be revisited in future.

I wonder about the libspotify terms. In their current form I think that it is probably prohibited, however with some changes, or special terms we could probably attach terms to the users of Playdar, including websites who would be able to depend on the users access to it. At least practically, the resolver is possible. I hope that any legal requirement can also be solved in a useful way.

Steven Robertson

Sep 15, 2010, 5:00:27 AM9/15/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
There is a libspotify callback structure called music_delivery containing raw PCM data. This is described on the following API page:

Lucas Gonze

Sep 15, 2010, 12:52:00 PM9/15/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com

Sweet.

IME good intentions often get labels to look the other way.

>> playdar+u...@googlegroups.com<playdar%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>> .
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/playdar?hl=en.
>> >

>> --

>> playdar+u...@googlegroups.com<playdar%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Steven Robertson

Oct 22, 2010, 4:49:05 AM10/22/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
FYI. Spotify resolver in C# that runs on Mac OS X and Linux as well as Windows.

http://playnode.org/2010/10/22/spotify-resolver/