Current project status

Ignas Vyšniauskas

Apr 7, 2012, 6:13:33 AM4/7/12
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Playdar people,

I am fascinated by Playdar's idea and was wondering what is the current
situation of the project, i.e. how active (dead) is it and what are the
future plans for it?

I'd be possibly willing to get involved with the development in te
future. I am an Erlang programmer so I guess I could help out with the
playdar-core code? Is there any kind of an organizational structure that
you have?

Best wishes,
Ignas

Russ Garrett

Apr 7, 2012, 6:57:19 AM4/7/12
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ignas,

Playdar is pretty much dead now, but its spiritual successor is Tomahawk:

http://www.tomahawk-player.org/

Tomahawk implements the Playdar protocol and quite a few of the
original Playdar developers work on it. (Someone should probably
update the Playdar site to mention that.)

Cheers,

Russ

> --

Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Ignas Vyšniauskas

Apr 7, 2012, 10:35:30 AM4/7/12
to pla...@googlegroups.com, Russ Garrett
On 2012.04.07 13:57, Russ Garrett wrote:
> Playdar is pretty much dead now, but its spiritual successor is Tomahawk:
>
> http://www.tomahawk-player.org/
>
> Tomahawk implements the Playdar protocol and quite a few of the
> original Playdar developers work on it. (Someone should probably
> update the Playdar site to mention that.)

That is unfortunate. I don't actually believe in Tomahawk, the problem
is that it's trying to do too much. I want something headless (i.e.
fully functional without a GUI) and lightweight like Playdar that I
could easily run on several machines. That would allow to maintain good
modularity and build amazing players on top of that kind of an
infrastructure. I am thinking of something like mpd, but distributed.
Tomahawk's slogan is "the social media player". I don't care about
social-ness. That can be built on top of a good infrastructure too. I
care about ease of setup and access. Therefore I think Playdar is
different and is based on a better, more fundamental idea.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Thanks for the reply :-)

Ignas

J Herskowitz

Apr 7, 2012, 11:13:45 AM4/7/12
to pla...@googlegroups.com

There its work being done on a headless Tomahawk. I'd suggest dropping into the IRC channel and asking about it. #tomahawk on freenode.

- J

Profpatsch

Feb 13, 2013, 2:29:59 PM2/13/13
to pla...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:57:19 PM UTC+2, Russ Garrett wrote:

(Someone should probably update the Playdar site to mention that.)

Yes, someone should indeed. Just spent two hours trying to get Playdar to work…

Profpatsch

Feb 14, 2013, 9:01:33 AM2/14/13

On Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:35:30 PM UTC+2, Ignas Vyšniauskas wrote:

 I want something headless (i.e.
fully functional without a GUI) and lightweight like Playdar that I
could easily run on several machines. That would allow to maintain good
modularity and build amazing players on top of that kind of an
infrastructure. I am thinking of something like mpd, but distributed.

I am of the same opinion and think the best idea would be to build on mpd, since there is nothing better concerning basic media player capabilities. KISS. Try gmpc, it does very basic things but everything it does works flawlessly.
And it’s very actively maintained (bug reports are getting answered in less than two days).

I intend to support the project when I find the time, expanding in this direction (xpsf support etc.).

~Profpatsch