Spotify resolver

Andreas

May 6, 2010, 3:16:47 AM5/6/10
to playdar
Is there a Spotify resolver available for Playdar already? If not,
what are the reasons and what has to be done on Spotify's side to make
such a resolver possible?

Nicholas J Humfrey

May 6, 2010, 3:43:05 AM5/6/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Playdar relies on being able to get the source audio, streaming it to
the browser and then playing it out via flash.

Spotify plays the audio straight out of the sound card, the API does
not give any way to access the source audio.

It would not be impossible to modify Playdar, so that the audio is
played back from a desktop application with transport controls in the
browser.

nick.

Andreas

May 6, 2010, 5:39:36 AM5/6/10
to playdar
I can understand Spotify for not giving direct access to their source
audio files via their API, because otherwise it would be too easy to
save these source audios locally, wouldn't it?

But how is the existent Napster resolver realised then? Does Napster
allow direct access to their mp3 files? I would be very surprised if
they do...

On 6 Mai, 09:43, Nicholas J Humfrey <n...@aelius.com> wrote:
> Playdar relies on being able to get the source audio, streaming it to
> the browser and then playing it out via flash.
>
> Spotify plays the audio straight out of the sound card, the API does
> not give any way to access the source audio.
>
> It would not be impossible to modify Playdar, so that the audio is
> played back from a desktop application with transport controls in the
> browser.
>
> nick.

Lucas Gonze

May 6, 2010, 10:21:50 AM5/6/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Napster allows access to a stream which Flash is capable of playing.

JP Hastings-Spital

May 6, 2010, 10:35:06 AM5/6/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Making a Spotify resolver is actually closer than it has been before because they've released the spotify libraries for a variety of platforms now - http://developer.spotify.com/en/libspotify/overview/. As Nicholas says, it's just(!) a question of changing the way Playdar plays its music.

In fact, I think there was talk here a while ago of changing the way Playdar works to have all media played from a Playdar sound daemon of sorts, which I actually quite like. It allows content providers a little more control over the music they provide (so Spotify can prevent people from ripping music, and play adverts if they want to) but it still allows us to choose which source we take our content from. Ultimately I think it's closer to what I see as Playdar's ultimate goal - to be a universal (music, for now) content resolver.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure where RJ and other playdar-core developers stand, or if they'd be prepared to make such a fundamental change to the way Playdar works, but I don't think it could hurt to have a Pro/Con battle:

For a playdar sound player daemon
* Allows content providers more control (eg. Spotify's walled garden)
* Reduces the work required for apps using the Playdar service (no need to deal with audio themselves)
* Could feasibly play any music format with a suitable Playdar player plugin (rather than waiting for a Flash-based player to have support)
* Could push to the player from multiple front-ends (two websites, desktop music player etc) and have the items queued regardless of source
* Removes some of the potential for easy pirating of music

Against a playdar sound player daemon (streaming to a flash plugin or a player)
* Yet another resource drain
* I'd imagine the change would require a fairly major rethink of Playdar's API, and hence a lot of work
the work load is taken from Playdar service developers (front ends) and places it on the core developers here
* Non-web based players (eg. the songbird extension) would have to do more work to get Playdar to integrate

Anything else people think should be added to the list?