Play with Playdar urls

JPhastings

Dec 28, 2009, 6:33:19 AM12/28/09
to playdar
I'm really enjoying playdar and with every new release I get friends
asking me (in meatspace!) how I have such a massive library squeezed
into my aging macbook - I savour the nonchalant 'Oh, that'd be
playdar' moment!

There's one tool I'd love to have in my playdar arsenal though, and
that'd be an equivalent of http://open.spotify.com - a URL I can tweet/
email/etc that will let people trial out playdar while listening to
the song I'm trying to spread.

I'd love to see a dedicated open.playdar.org webapp that would just
play the song (if its available from online playdar sources when
playdar isn't running, playlick style), give a variety of other
playdar powered sites to try out (playlick etc) and extol the virtues
of sharing music legally and freely.

I just made a feature request of mxcl's audioscrobbler, that there's
an open.playdar.org style link available from the menu, hence this
suggestion! Any thoughts? I'd be up for designing such a site, but I'd
like to hear opinions first!

James Wheare

Dec 28, 2009, 9:47:04 AM12/28/09
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Yeah good idea. You can start a new playlist with a given track on Playlick with this sort of URL:

More Playlick URLs documented here: http://github.com/jwheare/playlick#readme

I guess the association with open.spotify.com is a useful parallel, PR wise, but that's just an lightweight HTTP wrapper for their spotify:// control API which is for more than just playing tracks. So unless you want to follow their lead for everything implied by that convention, it might be better to choose something else.

Besides, there's nothing especially open about it. That term is massively overused and overloaded, basically just to mean "well it's got a URL?".

The overall idea is sound though. Maybe play.playdar.org? I dunno.

- James

Max Howell

Jan 2, 2010, 12:56:47 PM1/2/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
> The overall idea is sound though. Maybe play.playdar.org? I dunno.

I like play, but not play-dot-play. So resolve.playdar.org?

Or, this could be done locally of course. Although the url is less
neat. http://localhost:60210/play/

Max