The Roles of Source Providers

1 view

JPhastings

Jan 7, 2010, 10:16:25 AM1/7/10
to playdar
I've been considering mokele's PHP based playdar provider and the talk
we've had on here (http://groups.google.com/group/playdar/
browse_thread/thread/a95b8ac29179df13) of ways for independent
providers to have their music accessible via playdar.

I think we (as a community) could generate a host of plugins for a
variety of situations like mokele's PHP script (eg. a rails plugin,
wordpress plugins etc) - but what jobs should these do, and how will
we aggregate them?

Where in the work flow does the task of fuzzy matching lie? If a small
indie label wants to playdar-share, can it just provide a discography
in XSPF with URLs to streamable content, or does it need to implement
a playdar server?

It does make sense that playdar-core would take such an XSPF and match
against it when queried, but I really like playlick's ability to hunt
down tracks when I'm on a public computer (ie. without playdar-core
installed), so should there be a cut-down Javascript playdar that
playlick-esque sites can fall back on? Teamed with a basic playdar.org
run distributed directory of all supported sites?

A lot of questions, hope they make sense!

Steve Robertson

Jan 11, 2010, 10:41:02 AM1/11/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
I think it's important to get support for Playdar content from indie music sites. I'm looking to collect together and/or develop a bunch of tools as part of the Playnode project. Thinking about some similar things with respect to open-source plugins and libraries. I'm planning to work on a PHP library and WordPress plugin along with developing a couple of player front-ends too.

I'm not sure about running a Playdar server to stream a discography of music releases - possibly overkill but still considering it in some form or another. I am at least interested in using XSPF with URLs to seed or otherwise host content. I've been wondering about a special music license allowing music to be mirrored for distribution purposes.

The initial idea of a Javascript version of Playdar sounds horrendous to me. I assume that the AOL music Playlick resolver is just a Javascript front-end to an HTTP search API. I guess that it is possible to create something like that using a Playdar resolver backend. It could actually be pretty useful as far as aggregating content from an indie music network.

Lucas Gonze

Jan 11, 2010, 12:06:45 PM1/11/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Spidering XSPF is one way to approach this.

EG http://tinyurl.com/ma3n8z

So indie music sites would publish an XSPF file listing their
discography, and resolvers would pick it up.

p.s. http://playnode.org/ ?

Steve Robertson

Jan 11, 2010, 12:12:50 PM1/11/10
to pla...@googlegroups.com
I've only just got the site up, but yeah. Hatching some ideas, and having fun with Inkscape.

JPhastings

Jan 11, 2010, 1:05:28 PM1/11/10
to playdar
Someone mentioned on IRC a while ago the idea of using existing
mechanisms as much as possible, eg in the HTML on the index page of a
site:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/xspf+xml" title="Discography"
href="http://path.to/discography.xspf"/>
I can imagine you being able to drop a label's homepage into playlick
and being able to listen to their discography just like that.

Yeah, a full JS playdar would be a mammoth waste of cpu cycles, but if
we come up with a consistent way for people to present the tracks they
have available for streaming then it'd be good to have a playdar-is-
off way of presenting as much indie music as possible to the end user
(hopefully being as decentralised as possible).

I'm imagining a P2P structure where directory.playdar.org (for
example) can provide a list of all the XSPFs that people have declared
as playdar-happy, as well as a list of all known mirrors for the same
directory. The reason I like this so much is that I can run my own
ruby/php-powered playdar provider (as you've mentioned), which will
retrieve the latest list of playdar sources, add my own XSPFs and send
the changes back, meaning that if playdar.org goes down for whatever
reason then every other playdar source provider will have a recent (if
not completely up to date) list of any other sources.

I guess you wouldn't necessarily want to mirror every source (that
could get large fast!) but you could specify a given amount of space
you want to dedicate to playdar source mirroring, and 'star' sources
you particularly like (which would act as a kind of 'my musical
network' system, which could even provide an 'if you like us, you
might like…' thing)

My mind is galloping, I'll leave this here! But Steve, for the record,
I'm definitely up for mirroring anything you code in PHP in Ruby as
well as helping out with the PHP stuff.

On Jan 11, 3:41 pm, Steve Robertson <steverobert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's important to get support for Playdar content from indie music
> sites. I'm looking to collect together and/or develop a bunch of tools as
> part of the Playnode project. Thinking about some similar things with
> respect to open-source plugins and libraries. I'm planning to work on a PHP
> library and WordPress plugin along with developing a couple of player
> front-ends too.
>
> I'm not sure about running a Playdar server to stream a discography of music
> releases - possibly overkill but still considering it in some form or
> another. I am at least interested in using XSPF with URLs to seed or
> otherwise host content. I've been wondering about a special music license
> allowing music to be mirrored for distribution purposes.
>
> The initial idea of a Javascript version of Playdar sounds horrendous to me.
> I assume that the AOL music Playlick resolver is just a Javascript front-end
> to an HTTP search API. I guess that it is possible to create something like
> that using a Playdar resolver backend. It could actually be pretty useful as
> far as aggregating content from an indie music network.
>

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:16 PM, JPhastings <jphasti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been considering mokele's PHP based playdar provider and the talk
> > we've had on here (http://groups.google.com/group/playdar/

> > browse_thread/thread/a95b8ac29179df13<http://groups.google.com/group/playdar/%0Abrowse_thread/thread/a95b8a...>)

> > of ways for independent
> > providers to have their music accessible via playdar.
>
> > I think we (as a community) could generate a host of plugins for a
> > variety of situations like mokele's PHP script (eg. a rails plugin,
> > wordpress plugins etc) - but what jobs should these do, and how will
> > we aggregate them?
>
> > Where in the work flow does the task of fuzzy matching lie? If a small
> > indie label wants to playdar-share, can it just provide a discography
> > in XSPF with URLs to streamable content, or does it need to implement
> > a playdar server?
>
> > It does make sense that playdar-core would take such an XSPF and match
> > against it when queried, but I really like playlick's ability to hunt
> > down tracks when I'm on a public computer (ie. without playdar-core
> > installed), so should there be a cut-down Javascript playdar that
> > playlick-esque sites can fall back on? Teamed with a basic playdar.org
> > run distributed directory of all supported sites?
>
> > A lot of questions, hope they make sense!
>
> > --

> > playdar+u...@googlegroups.com<playdar%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

stever

Jan 14, 2010, 7:24:55 AM1/14/10
to playdar
I like your idea of selective and preference source mirroring to solve
the problem of storage issues. I think that music really could benefit
from the same kind of thinking that makes Linux work so well, and
adapted like this so that it suits the purpose.

There's a bunch of different licensing models to consider. I'm in
favour of considering free ccmusic type distribution as well as more
restrictive licenses based on some kind of restrictions too. There's
some issue in terms of what could be reasonably protected and how that
might be achieved.

It may be necessary to support a range of Playdar-related products,
with each focussed to specific objectives. Providing a web gateway is
one that seems to need another name. Playdar on the client is
important but not the only area of interest when considering a
decentralised and explicitly permissible indie artist network. A web-
based gateway product may be useful to collective outposts.

I'm thinking of the Playnode website as an area for pulling together
information and software for DIY music projects. Playnode for
WordPress is an initial objective for development, and this would
provide a source of content that can be consumed by users with a
Playnode resolver and Playdar.