announcing play 2.1-RC1

peter hausel

Nov 19, 2012, 8:27:06 AM11/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

We are very pleased to announce the availability of play 2.1-RC1!

What's new? https://github.com/playframework/Play20/wiki/Highlights

Migration guide: https://github.com/playframework/Play20/wiki/Migration

Lighthouse milestone: https://play.lighthouseapp.com/projects/82401-play-20/milestones/current

How to install:
1) read the migration guide
2) download package from http://www.playframework.org/download
3) change project/build.properties to 0.12.1 and the play version in project/plugins.sbt to 2.1-RC1

Let us know if you have questions or run into problems.

Play Team

Paul Merlin

Nov 19, 2012, 8:51:32 AM11/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Kudos and many thanks for this RC1!

Is the new Filter-API/EssentialAction fully Java enabled?

Luciano Fiandesio

Nov 19, 2012, 9:03:04 AM11/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

good stuff, congratulations.
I cloned the Play2 repo and when building I get this error:

:::: WARNINGS
[NOT FOUND  ] commons-logging#commons-logging;1.0.4!commons-logging.jar (1ms)

And of course the build fails. I have fixed it by manually copying the jar into the .m2/repository folder but just in case others have this issue.

Cheers
Luciano

Sebastien Cesbron

Nov 19, 2012, 10:22:48 AM11/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi

WIth 2.1-rc1 build as with latest 2.1-snapshots that I build locally, I have some code that does not compile.

My code is inspired by the presentation of the new json api (http://mandubian.com/2012/10/01/unveiling-play-2-dot-1-json-api-part2-writes-format-combinators/)

package json

import play.api.libs.json._
import play.api.libs.json.util._
import play.api.libs.json.Writes._
import models._

object JsonFormat {
  implicit val projectWrites = (
    (__ \ "id").write[Option[Long]] and
    (__ \ "name").write[String] and
    (__ \ "category").write[String] and
    (__ \ "drieeCode").write[Option[String]] and
    (__ \ "pictureUrl").write[Option[String]]
  )(unlift(Project.unapply))
}

The compilation error is

[error] /home/sebastien/dev/play/play2/core/app/json/JsonFormat.scala:10: value and is not a member of play.api.libs.json.OWrites[Option[Long]]
[error]  Note: implicit value projectWrites is not applicable here because it comes after the application point and it lacks an explicit result type
[error]     (__ \ "id").write[Option[Long]] and

This code was working two weeks ago but not with latest builds. I don't understand where is my mistake. Is there anything that changes recently on the new json api ?

Regards
Seb

2012/11/19 Luciano Fiandesio <luciano....@gmail.com>

Julien Richard-Foy

Nov 19, 2012, 10:28:10 AM11/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
the “and” combinator is provided by an implicit conversion located in this file:
https://github.com/playframework/Play20/blob/master/framework/src/play/src/main/scala/play/api/libs/functional/Util.scala#L781-L822
So you need to import (at least) the following:

import play.api.libs.functional.syntax._

Sebastien Cesbron

Nov 19, 2012, 10:43:49 AM11/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Ok thanks it works now but I don't understand why this was not required before

Regards
Seb

2012/11/19 Julien Richard-Foy <j...@zenexity.com>

Eric Jain

Nov 19, 2012, 3:46:29 PM11/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Just upgraded from the latest stable snapshot (2.1-11022012) to RC1, without any major trouble. Updated the version in the plugins.sbt and replaced PlayProject with play.Project. At this point I could build and run the application, but `dist` would fail with a compilation error:

  import java.io.IOException;
  import play.mvc.Results.ByteChunks;

  public abstract class JsonChunks extends ByteChunks {
    @Override
    public void onReady(Out<byte[]> out) { // can't find the "Out" class!
    }
  }

Rearranging the imports fixed that problem:

  import java.io.IOException;
  import play.mvc.Results;

  public abstract class JsonChunks extends Results.ByteChunks {
    @Override
    public void onReady(Results.Chunks.Out<byte[]> out) {
    }
  }

Odd...

I also tried the new RequireJS support; appears to work on Linux, but not on Windows:

  https://play.lighthouseapp.com/projects/82401-play-20/tickets/865-requirejs-support-broken-on-windows

Manuel Bernhardt

Nov 19, 2012, 4:12:58 PM11/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations guys, this is really cool!

Manuel

--
Manuel Bernhardt

Derek Williams

Nov 19, 2012, 7:01:31 PM11/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
You will also want to read the Akka migration guide if you use it directly:

In particular, there is no akka.dispatch.Future anymore, it is now scala.concurrent.Future

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Ravinder Gade <ravind...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello
   I have migrated to 2.1 Rc1 from 2.0.4 but getting several errors with my project src...
where is the java doc located for 2.1 ?
For example this error ..even though I explicitly set to akka.dispatch.Future still complains

 error: incompatible types
[error]                                  akka.dispatch.Future<Object> future =  Patterns.ask(CometActorSystem.getPresenceRemoteActorRef(),message,timeout);
[error]                                                                                     ^
[error]   required: akka.dispatch.Future<Object>
[error]   found:    scala.concurrent.Future<Object>

On Monday, November 19, 2012 1:41:54 PM UTC-5, Ricardo Franco wrote:
Who want to install with Brew

https://gist.github.com/4112398

Derek Williams

jeanphiv

Nov 20, 2012, 7:37:47 AM11/20/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks for the job

Is the ability to build a war included in this version? It has been announced but this is not mentioned in the new features description.

JP

sas

Nov 20, 2012, 7:58:47 AM11/20/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
is the 2.1 scaladoc available on line somewhere?

Ondřej Kroupa

Nov 20, 2012, 8:39:04 AM11/20/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Anybody got any auhenticate module working with this release? I have tried play-authenticate and securesocial without success.

Jan Eriksson

Nov 20, 2012, 8:58:05 AM11/20/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Reading the release highlights made me smile - lots of really nice stuff there. Awesome work and congratulations to everyone involved!

Thanks,
Janne

peter hausel

Nov 20, 2012, 3:43:17 PM11/20/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:01:12 PM UTC-5, Ravinder Gade wrote:
Thanks, I was able to resolve but getting run time errros
So I am wondering what should be the Akka version in build.scala

Earlier with Play 2.0.4 I had this...since Now I am migrating to 2.1 RC1 what should this be...

 val appDependencies = Seq(
      // Add your project dependencies here,
      "com.typesafe.akka" % "akka-remote" % "2.0.2"
    )
I am new Play and Akka...Just started 2-3 weeks back...now migrating to 2.1 for cookie issue with Async

Sebastian Scarano

Nov 20, 2012, 5:47:28 PM11/20/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
the former eclipsify command is now (that's from version 2.0 onwards) plain eclipse

you can issue "play eclipse"

saludos

sas

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Rob Nikander <rob.ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

What happened to the "eclipsify" command? Is there another way to create eclipse files for a new project?

Rob

ArnaudT

Nov 21, 2012, 4:17:38 AM11/21/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the good job guys!

m e

Nov 21, 2012, 4:38:27 AM11/21/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi

GREAT WORK

:)

Alex Jarvis

Nov 21, 2012, 5:10:03 AM11/21/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Many thanks for posting RC1 - I've upgraded successfully but have a little gripe that I'd like to share with you.

A while back, I seem to remember discussion about running out of memory/maxing the CPU whilst running tests.

The problem that I am having at the moment and I would love to be confirmed that this is not just me is that when I repeatedly run 'test' from within the play console, eventually I notice my fans get continually faster until I quit the process.

This is not a problem of course if I run 'play test' directly from the shell as the process exits after it is finished, but it means that you definitely can't do something like ~test to run the tests automatically every time after source code changes.

I think someone may have mentioned running the tests in a forked JVM so that the play/sbt process is unaffected and this may work, but is that the real issue here, or would it just solve one of the symptoms. I guess the burning question is - why does running tests repeatedly cause this behaviour? Is it a problem with the framework or some library that it depends on? If anyone has ideas of how to debug this it would be appreciated as I would like to help solve it. JConsole springs to mind and if I get some time today I might see if I can find the culprit.

Thanks for all the great work, the compilation definitely feels quicker!

Alex

peter hausel

Nov 21, 2012, 8:44:50 AM11/21/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:10:03 AM UTC-5, Alex Jarvis wrote:
Hi Peter,

Many thanks for posting RC1 - I've upgraded successfully but have a little gripe that I'd like to share with you.

A while back, I seem to remember discussion about running out of memory/maxing the CPU whilst running tests.

The problem that I am having at the moment and I would love to be confirmed that this is not just me is that when I repeatedly run 'test' from within the play console, eventually I notice my fans get continually faster until I quit the process.

It's hard to tell what's going on. Could you please try to isolate this and file a ticket with an example?

Alex Jarvis

Nov 21, 2012, 9:06:52 AM11/21/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
My pleasure :)

I thought it would be ironic to try and create the scenario using the new project template and it worked pretty well.

mirkoadari

Nov 25, 2012, 2:46:22 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I get:

warn] Binary version (2.10) for dependency org.scala-lang#scala-library;2.10.0-RC1
warn]  in ... differs from Scala binary version in project (2.9.2).
warn]  module not found: play#play_2.9.2;2.1-RC1

peter hausel

Nov 25, 2012, 3:28:45 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, we would need more context than that. Thanks, Peter

Ondřej Kroupa

Nov 25, 2012, 3:31:30 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I had same issue yesterday. Take app/views folder and move it away from your project, then put it back.

Dne neděle, 25. listopadu 2012 21:23:36 UTC+1 jsinghfoss napsal(a):
I upgraded to Play 2.1-RC1 and I get the below compile time error:

value message is not a member of Option[play.api.data.FormError]

Below is the line where above error is thrown:

Any idea folks?

peter hausel

mirkoadari

Nov 25, 2012, 3:36:08 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter for a quick reply, already figured it out. I had other projects inside the build and had to specify scala version for them as well.

mirkoadari

Nov 25, 2012, 3:36:55 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
How does scheduler API work for Java with 2.1? Akka.scheduler().schedule() expects an ExecutionContext instance.

Ondřej Kroupa

Nov 25, 2012, 3:38:24 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
You can use Akka.system().dispatcher() as ExecutionContext, I guess.

S pozdravem
Ondřej Kroupa

On Sunday, November 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM, mirkoadari wrote:

How does scheduler API work for Java with 2.1? Akka.scheduler().schedule() expects an ExecutionContext instance.

mirkoadari

Nov 25, 2012, 3:41:54 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, ma...@seal.io
Thanks, was my initial guess. The real culprit was Duration - Akka takes Scala duration in the new version.

Ondřej Kroupa

Nov 25, 2012, 3:43:57 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I have committed update to 2_1 branch in play-authenticate, which actually works with Play 2.1 RC1.

On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ondřej Kroupa wrote:

Anybody got any auhenticate module working with this release? I have tried play-authenticate and securesocial without success.

mirkoadari

Nov 25, 2012, 3:50:44 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Is Controller.form() removed? What is the substitute and why such a reckless breakage of existing code?

Ondřej Kroupa

Nov 25, 2012, 3:52:24 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Use play.data.Form.form. BTW I recommend to use IntelliJ IDEA with Scala plugin. It will hint you, what to import.

mirkoadari

Nov 25, 2012, 3:54:34 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, ma...@seal.io
I know that Form has static methods and I already use IntelliJ. However it bothers me to go through my code to add imports in the first place. I really don't see what is the benefit of such a change that affects 99% of apps out there.

Jatinder Singh

Nov 25, 2012, 3:59:17 PM11/25/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I'm running into a similar problem. What's the benefit? Seems like bug.

peter hausel

Nov 26, 2012, 8:53:24 AM11/26/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The `form` package was decoupled from the `mvc` package due to modularization. That is, the java `data` package and its dependencies are part of the `javaCore` artifact now while play.mvc is part of playCore. This way if you are using only playCore you won't get the spring dependencies for example.

FYI, I updated the migration guide with some relevant information:

Thanks,
Peter

Rob Nikander

Nov 26, 2012, 2:39:11 PM11/26/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It appears that the set of classes included in the javadoc has shrunk from 2.0.4. I'd like to find, for example, the javadoc for play.data.Form.  If I go to play-2.1-RC1/documentation/api/java/index.html, it's no longer there.  How can I find/generate it?

thanks,
Rob

Ben McCann

Nov 27, 2012, 7:29:57 PM11/27/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo for Play 2.1!

peter hausel

Nov 28, 2012, 9:45:00 AM11/28/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob, Thanks for the heads-up, we will look into the doc issue.  Cheers, Peter

peter hausel

Dec 3, 2012, 3:46:16 PM12/3/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, December 3, 2012 4:53:37 AM UTC-5, Norman Weisenburger wrote:
Hi Peter,

thanks a lot for play! 2.1 RC.
We are new to play!, but like to use it for a university project.
Currently we start off and think about directly using 2.1 RC instead of 2.0.4.

Could you or any experienced play contributor please tell, whether we have to expect incompatible API changes
between the RC and the final release of 2.1?

There still might be changes between the RC and the final, but realistically speaking I believe it's safe to assume that they are more or less going to be compatible.

Thanks Norman

danny

Dec 4, 2012, 9:23:21 AM12/4/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I've upgraded to 2.1 and now its using Scala version 2.10.0-RC1

I take it that soon as Scala 2.10 finial is out Play will get updated ?

Danny

James Roper

Dec 5, 2012, 11:36:47 PM12/5/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Play 2.1-RC1 had the Scala compiler in its runtime dependencies, we've removed that, so that should make the slug 14mb smaller.  Other than that I'm not sure why it's so large... with the modularisation work we've done, it should be smaller, especially if you are using a Java project.  Do you know if the Play slug is just the artifact produced by dist, or more?

On Thursday, 6 December 2012 05:16:35 UTC+11, markfw wrote:
Hi All,

I've enjoyed using play 2.1-RC1 for the last week.  When I deploy to heroku with 2.1-RC1 the compiled slug size is 120MB (up from 54MB in play 2.0.x).  I'm using the build pack from https://github.com/heroku/heroku-buildpack-scala.git.  The slug size is not causing problems at the moment.  However heroku recommends that slug sizes should be less than 100MB.  Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark

markfw

Dec 6, 2012, 5:35:07 AM12/6/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
James,

I created 3 empty java play projects with 3 versions of play and deployed them to heroku with the build pack at https://github.com/heroku/heroku-buildpack-scala.git.  The slug sizes are as follows:

play2.0.2 -> 87.5MB
play2.0.4 -> 87.7MB
play2.1-RC1 -> 112.3MB

So the 2.1-RC1 release increased the slug size by 24.6MB.  The odd thing here is that all of the slug sizes are huge.  I have an existing play2.0.4 project hosted on heroku with a slug size of 54MB.  I suspect that a change on heroku or in the build pack has introduced a bug which increases the slug size.  I will raise a ticket on heroku aswell...  I think the  play slug contains the artifact produced by the dist and all of its dependencies.

Mark

peter hausel

Dec 6, 2012, 8:29:15 AM12/6/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
the big difference is coming from the fact that different play components are using different scala-compiler and scala-library. The sbt plugin and its dependencies are using 2.9.2, while play core is on 2.10. That adds about +20MB. It will go back to a normal level once sbt 0.13 is released sometime in Q1 2013 (which will target scala 2.10)

HTH
Peter

James Ward

Dec 6, 2012, 9:37:04 AM12/6/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
The increase from 54MB to 87.5MB is due to Heorku now pulling the JDK
into the slug for new apps. The slug size in a Play app should be the
size of the "play stage" output, plus the JDK.

-James

angeloh

Dec 9, 2012, 3:49:14 AM12/9/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I got an error in my Java application. What should I change to make it compile in 2.1?

    [error] /Users/macbookpro/workspaces/sparkover/joiim-com/app/controllers/SomePost.java:93: cannot find symbol
    [error] symbol  : constructor Promise(org.codehaus.jackson.node.ObjectNode)
    [error] location: class play.libs.F.Promise<org.codehaus.jackson.node.ObjectNode>
    [error]    return new Promise<ObjectNode>(result);

How could I fix this?

Andy Czerwonka

Dec 14, 2012, 6:52:25 PM12/14/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Strange, I just created a brand new, out-of-the-box application using `play new wombat`, did the `eclipse with-sources=true` and I'm getting a bunch of errors in Eclipse.

All errors look kinda of like this:

Description Resource Path Location Type
class file needed by BodyParser is missing. reference type Either of object package refers to nonexisting symbol. Application.scala /wombat/app/controllers line 8 Scala Problem

I'm using Scala IDE 2.1 M2.

Andy Czerwonka

Dec 14, 2012, 7:07:07 PM12/14/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Ah, looks like a need Scala 2.10. Once I upgraded to the IDE plugin that comes with 2.10, it works. I didn't know 2.1 forces 2.10.

adel alfar

Dec 15, 2012, 4:05:55 PM12/15/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
The eclipse with-sources=true is not an option...I get the error below when I execute it:
Not a valid key: with-sources (similar: watch-sources, sources, resource

with-sources=true

Is there another play 2.1-RC1 compatible command?

Eric Jain

Dec 15, 2012, 4:34:45 PM12/15/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM, adel alfar <ad...@oax.com> wrote:
> The eclipse with-sources=true is not an option...I get the error below when
> I execute it:
> Not a valid key: with-sources (similar: watch-sources, sources, resource
>
> with-sources=true

It's "with-source", not "with-sources":

`play "eclipse with-source=true"`

adel alfar

Dec 15, 2012, 7:32:08 PM12/15/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
OK...the  command play "eclipse with-source=true"  (note the double quotes) works....Thanks!

Ivan Meredith

Dec 15, 2012, 10:15:28 PM12/15/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
We shouldnt need the sbt plugin after the dist has been created though right?

Ben McCann

Dec 15, 2012, 11:26:04 PM12/15/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Correct

about.me/benmccann

Bence

Dec 18, 2012, 12:28:07 PM12/18/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Be careful: this won't work with eclipse Juno: there is no working 2.1 compatible Scala IDE for that currently.

Alex Jarvis

Dec 18, 2012, 2:14:26 PM12/18/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
> Be careful: this won't work with eclipse Juno: there is no working 2.1 compatible Scala IDE for that currently.

My eclipse Juno worked fine, but only after I removed Scala completely and added it back again.

Pankaj Gupta

Dec 18, 2012, 5:44:57 PM12/18/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Play rocks.

Ioannis Papadakis

Dec 19, 2012, 8:25:45 AM12/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I can't find a way to make assets.stylesheets work with css.

GET     /assets/*file               controllers.Assets.at(path="/public", file)

assets/stylesheets/yo.css with content
body{
    background:blue;
}

include it using <link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="@routes.Assets.at("stylesheets/yo.css")"> that points to /assets/stylesheets/yo.css

and /assets/stylesheets/yo.css returns nothing. Am i missing something here?
Thanks

Play rocks.

Alex Jarvis

Dec 19, 2012, 8:29:05 AM12/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Put it in public/stylesheets/

Ioannis Papadakis

Dec 19, 2012, 8:35:22 AM12/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
well that obviously works but need the buildin etag minify gz etc. got it working by renaming css to less btw. Seems assets ignores css extensions

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Alex Jarvis <alex.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
Put it in public/stylesheets/

Ben McCann

Dec 26, 2012, 2:05:38 PM12/26/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
import static play.data.Form.form;

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 7:26 AM, Jason F <jason...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Brian

How did you fix your imports? I have errors relating to forms.

Thanks
Jason

On Friday, 21 December 2012 23:48:28 UTC, Brian Hanafee wrote:
The migration guide suggests adding javaCore, javaJdbc and javaEbean to appDependencies. It mentions as an aside that it's no longer necessary to specify mainLang because enabling javaCore is sufficient to enable Java support. It then describes the move of play.mvc.Controller#form() to play.data.Form#form(). When I recompiled after upgrading, I had a bunch of compilation errors related to forms, so dove into those changes to figure out what had gone wrong and fix my imports. It would have save me a ton of time if the migration guide had mentioned that, unrelated to moving the form() methods, adding javaCore to the path of a Scala project breaks it.

about.me/benmccann

ibsdevs

Jan 2, 2013, 12:09:04 PM1/2/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Does play 2.1 (scala) have native support for Slick?

Rob Nikander

Jan 2, 2013, 1:04:39 PM1/2/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM, ibsdevs <ibs...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Does play 2.1 (scala) have native support for Slick?

I don't know if it's considered "native" but I'm using 2.1 and slick by including this in my project/Build.scala...

  val appDependencies = Seq(
      jdbc,
      "com.typesafe" % "slick_2.10" % "1.0.0-RC1",
      "postgresql" % "postgresql" % "9.1-901-1.jdbc4"
  )

Rob

ibsdevs

Jan 8, 2013, 12:07:15 PM1/8/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, it works.

Janus Troelsen

Jan 12, 2013, 6:47:10 PM1/12/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, ma...@seal.io
what is the problem?

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:38:52 AM UTC+1, Johnny Bekkestad wrote:
i cannot get the

static Form<Task> taskForm = form(Task.class);

to work