JPA / Hibernate / ObjectDB

Piero Sartini

Jan 22, 2011, 9:55:00 AM1/22/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in using ObjectDB together with Play!, but as far as I
understand from the source the JPA functionality is tied to Hibernate.
Any ideas how much work would be needed to make Play! work with other
JPA implementations?

From what I see there are 3 main classes where hibernate is involved:
JPAPlugin.java
JPABase.java
Blob.java
As well as one cast in DB.java to get the JDBC Connection.

Also I am not sure about the JDBC functionality inside DB.java,
especially the executeQuery method - I am sure ObjectDB does not allow
for SQL queries returning a ResultSet. Where is this functionality
used?

Are there more problems along the road that I should be aware of? Any
advice on how the best approach would be?
Maybe a seperate module is the way to go..?

Piero

Guillaume Bort

Jan 23, 2011, 9:30:32 AM1/23/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
You can of course use ObjectDB with Play. But the current JPA specific
Model class will only work with Hibernate. Moreover I'm not sure than
using JPA is the best way to interact with a real object database (you
will probably miss a lot of interesting ObjectDB features).

> --

Guillaume Bort, http://guillaume.bort.fr

For anything work-related, use g...@zenexity.fr; for everything else,
write guillau...@gmail.com

verlsnake

Mar 7, 2011, 3:52:16 PM3/7/11
to play-framework
Hello Guillaume and Piero !

I have the following understanding: If I persist standardly against
JPA/JDO, I can switch Persistence Engines as I see fit later on !
Isn't this what a standard like JPA is all about ?

So yes: Great it would be if the Play Framework allowed us to use the
JPA standard like it was meant to be ! So that we can easily switch to
a true OODBMS like ObjectDB. Is this already possible now ?

Cheers and Tschüss

Kai (Tischler) from Northrhine-Westfalia in Germany

On Jan 23, 3:30 pm, Guillaume Bort <guillaume.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can of course useObjectDBwith Play. But the current JPA specific
> Model class will only work with Hibernate. Moreover I'm not sure than
> using JPA is the best way to interact with a real object database (you
> will probably miss a lot of interestingObjectDBfeatures).
>

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Piero Sartini <p...@sartini-its.com> wrote:
> > I am interested in usingObjectDBtogether with Play!, but as far as I
> > understand from the source the JPA functionality is tied to Hibernate.
> > Any ideas how much work would be needed to make Play! work with other
> > JPA implementations?
>
> > From what I see there are 3 main classes where hibernate is involved:
> > JPAPlugin.java
> > JPABase.java
> > Blob.java
> > As well as one cast in DB.java to get the JDBC Connection.
>
> > Also I am not sure about the JDBC functionality inside DB.java,
> > especially the executeQuery method - I am sureObjectDBdoes not allow
> > for SQL queries returning a ResultSet. Where is this functionality
> > used?
>
> > Are there more problems along the road that I should be aware of? Any
> > advice on how the best approach would be?
> > Maybe a seperate module is the way to go..?
>
> >         Piero
>
> > --
>
> --
> Guillaume Bort,http://guillaume.bort.fr
>
> For anything work-related, use g...@zenexity.fr; for everything else,
> write guillaume.b...@gmail.com

verlsnake

Mar 7, 2011, 6:50:49 PM3/7/11
to play-framework
Hello again, potential fellow PLAYers !

All of a sudden, the almost forgotten exPOJO Framework has come back
to my mind; its father is Chris Colman, also maker of the Javelin
Modeler ...

exPOJO:
- The solution for framework overload!
- The light weight, dependency injection, persistence engine wrapping,
model exposing framework, that is the fastest and easiest way to
persist your POJO domain model in a web or desktop application
environment using your favourite popular transparent persistence
engine.
- http://www.expojo.com

Wouldn't it make sense to leverage this lightweight exPOJO Framework
from within the PLAY Framework ?

Cheers and Tschüss

Kai

Guillaume Bort

Mar 8, 2011, 4:11:39 AM3/8/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
You can use any JPA implementation or any other Java library you want
with Play. But the play.db.jpa.Model stuff that simplify JPA access is
tied to Hibernate; now you are not required to use it.