Play Framework 2.9 and 3.0 released / Play 2.8 EOL dates

Matthias Kurz

Nov 7, 2023, 6:32:54 AM11/7/23
to Play Framework Security
The Play Team is thrilled to announce the release of Play 2.9.0 and 3.0.0! These releases represent a significant milestone as they are the first major releases in almost four years and the first major releases entirely driven by the community.

To find out more about these releases, their supported Java and Scala versions, and new features, please see the GitHub release announcements and the links provided on those pages:
We recommend upgrading existing Play Framework applications to either version 2.9 or 3.0 as soon as possible to ensure you receive the latest security fixes. In particular, some libraries that Play 2.8 depends on won't be upgraded anymore in Play 2.8. Also, please be aware that Play 2.8 will reach its end of life (EOL) on May 31st, 2024. More details can be found here: https://www.playframework.com/documentation/latest/General#End-of-life-(EOL)-Dates

Lastly, we want to express our heartfelt gratitude to all our Premium sponsors and all individuals, current and past ones, whose generous contributions make it possible for us to continue the development of the Play Framework. This release would never have happened without your support!

If you or your company wants to financially support the development of the Play Framework, you can do so by donating to our Open Collective fund: https://opencollective.com/playframework. More details can be found here: https://www.playframework.com/sponsors.