IPS Symposium on the Sophist, Registration, et al.

Edward Halper

Jul 5, 2022, 5:23:29 PM7/5/22
to International Plato Society Mailing List

SymposiumXIII will take place at the University of Georgia the week after next.

The caterers—all four of them!--are anxious to have a final (or close to final number).  Would you please register by Friday at noon (Eastern US time), especially if you will be attending in person.  If necessary, you can register later, but I need to send them a approximation to the total count this Friday.

A number of people have had difficulties registering.  When you click the Register tab on our Platosociety.org site, you are sent to a secure site at the University of Georgia.  This UGA site does not have your IPS member information.  Don’t try to enter this information, and don’t bother setting up an account.  Instead, check out as a guest.  The email that you enter after your name will receive Zoom links for the Symposium--look for them the morning of July 18.  If you still have difficulties, try opening the link in another browser.  The person who manages UGA’s system recommends Chrome, but I have used others.

A new program is now posted on our site and attached.  Like everything sensible, it is imperfect. Please let me know if anything needs to be changed.  Let me thank all of you who volunteered to chair sessions.

Although the hotels are no longer holding the blocks of rooms they had set aside for the IPS, you are likely to do nearly as well on your own.  I strongly recommend that you book a hotel that is in walking distance of our venue, Terry College.  You will find a map and information about Athens at the bottom of the Registration page on the Platosociety.org site.

Those of you who have registered to attend remotely will receive a Zoom link for each of the four rooms. It will be sent to the address you use to register on the UGA site.  The link will be good for at least a day.  Check for new links each day.

Since this Symposium is hybrid with multiple simultaneous sessions, it is very important to stick closely to the schedule.  Each paper is allotted 30 minutes.  Usually the papers will last 20 minutes, and there will be 10 minutes for discussion.  We will try to leave the Zoom on during breaks so that those who are remote can continue the discussion.

The Symposium takes place in Terry College.  It is a large complex.  Registration is in Casey Commons.  It is on the first floor of Amos Hall--number 9 at https://www.terry.uga.edu/sites/default/files/inline-files/BLC-self-guided-tour.pdf(If you are on Baxter street, in front of the College, Casey is in the center, behind the pillars.)  Our desk will open at 9:00 AM on July 18.  You can grab a coffee and pick up your lunch tickets and name tag.

Finally, we have posted the papers that we received.  You can access them from the bottom of the Registration page on the Platosociety.org site.

Looking forward to “seeing” all of you the week after next,

 Safe travels--whether they be physical or only intellectual,

Edward Halper

President, IPS

Professor of Philosophy

University of Georgia

Athens, GA 30602

Edward Halper

Jul 5, 2022, 5:24:34 PM7/5/22
to International Plato Society Mailing List
Here is the program
Program 7-4.docx