Effect of image offset on DIR

Jeremy Lim

Oct 11, 2022, 1:08:05 AM10/11/22
to Plastimatch
Hi,

I was wondering how the value of the image offset is changing the result of the DIR.

I'm registering two images which have the same offset. What I have done is modify the offsets of the two images in the header by the same amount and nothing else, i.e. simply moving the images together in space. Shouldn't the placement of grid points on the image and hence the DIR results be exactly the same?

Kind regards,
Jeremy

Sharp, Gregory C.,PHD

Oct 11, 2022, 10:21:03 AM10/11/22
to plast...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jeremy,

I would think so too.  The only thing that gives me pause is that most of the calculations are done in single precision floating point, so there will be slight differences due to rounding.

I'll also point out that the calculations have a non-deterministic order of operations between threads, which can also exhibit rounding differences.  You can test single threading by setting the environment OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1.

Did you find there to be differences?  How large are the differences?

Greg

Oct 11, 2022, 9:08:49 PM10/11/22
to Plastimatch
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response. Yes,  judging by the MSE after DIR, I found differences in the registration. However, they are not very large.

Here are the results for two different patients (4 stage DIR):
Untitled.png

Curious about the pattern seen in Patient1, I did more registrations with fixed intervals for the offsets changes (but with only 1 stage DIR). There was this oscillating pattern and I tried looking at finer and finer intervals to see if I could find the boundary but was not successful.

Untitled2.png

Kind regards,
Jeremy

Sharp, Gregory C.,PHD

Oct 12, 2022, 7:18:01 PM10/12/22
to Plastimatch
Hi Jeremy,
Very interesting data. Thanks!
Qualitatively, the data are consistent with numeric rounding. But the absolute differences are larger than I would expect.
Unfortunately I don't have a short term solution. Let me know if you discover more. I will work on a test plan.