Can plastimatch convert dose volume to RTDOSE dcm file?

fcj...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2020, 5:24:01 AM12/18/20
to Plastimatch
Hi all:
    I know that plastimatch can convert RTDOSE DICOM files to dose volumes by using the following command:
    plastimatch convert --input RTDOSE.dcm --output-dose-img RTDOSE.nii.gz
    Is this process reversible i.e. can plastimatch convert dose volumes to RTDOSE DICOM files? I already have CT, RTSTRUCT, RTPLAN DICOM files, and a dose volume file named RTDOSE.nii.gz. How can I generate a RTDOSE DICOM file with these files?

Sharp, Gregory C.

Dec 18, 2020, 10:08:54 AM12/18/20
to plast...@googlegroups.com

Indeed it is possible.  You need to tell plastimatch that the image represents a dose.

plastimatch convert --input-dose-img RTDOSE.nii.gz --output-dicom dicom-dir

To play nicely with other systems, the RTDOSE should reference the RTSTRUCT.  (Just as the RTSTRUCT should reference the CT image.)  So you should either convert them together, or else you can use --referenced-ct to link the UIDs.

Dec 21, 2020, 10:04:53 PM12/21/20
to Plastimatch
Hi Greg:
    Thanks for your reply.
    Does convert them together means the following command?
    plastimatch convert --input-dose-img RTDOSE.nii.gz --input-ss-img RTSTRUCT.dcm --output-dicom output-dicom-dir
    But I got a itk::ImageFileReaderException error.

Sharp, Gregory C.

Dec 22, 2020, 3:36:19 PM12/22/20
to plast...@googlegroups.com

No, that won't work.  The RTSTRUCT.dcm must be in a directory, and loaded by --referenced-ct.  For example:

plastimatch convert --input-dose-img RTDOSE.nii.gz --referenced-ct struct-dir --output-dicom output-dir

With the RTSTRUCT.dcm in struct-dir.

fcj...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2020, 1:42:10 AM12/23/20
to Plastimatch

Hi Greg:
    Thanks to your method, I got a dose_xxxxx.dcm file in the output-dir. But I still have two questions:
    1. The dose_xxxxx.dcm file was an ANONYMOUS one, so I added --patient-id <arg> and --patient-name <arg> to the command and got an normal one. But I wonder that the patient-id and patient-name was already in the referenced RTSTRUCT.dcm, why the dose_xxxxx.dcm didn't get them.
    2. Why was the dose_xxxxx.dcm file so big? All the CT and RTSTRUCT dcm files were 57.4M in total, but the dose_xxxxx.dcm file was 102M. Can the output file size be reduced?

fcj...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2021, 9:53:14 PM3/3/21
to Plastimatch
Excuse me, can the output dose_xxxxx.dcm file size be reduced?

Sharp, Gregory C.

Mar 30, 2021, 4:43:25 PM3/30/21
to Plastimatch
Hi Fc,

I'm sorry for the delay, it's been a long month.

I think the easiest way to resize the dose is as a nrrd or nii.gz format, and then convert to dicom after resizing.

I'm not sure that I can answer as to why the file is so big.  Where did the file come from?  In any case, the DICOM is not compressed for best compatibility.

Greg

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Mass General Brigham Compliance HelpLine at http://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly dispose of the e-mail.

Please note that this e-mail is not secure (encrypted).  If you do not wish to continue communication over unencrypted e-mail, please notify the sender of this message immediately.  Continuing to send or respond to e-mail after receiving this message means you understand and accept this risk and wish to continue to communicate over unencrypted e-mail.