Congratulations, Rebecca MBE

Baglady of Kingston upon Thames

Dec 31, 2009, 3:39:55 AM12/31/09
to Plastic Bag Free
Very well deserved, and nice to wake up to some good news for a
change.

But it does make me wonder why, if the government recognises the value
of what you've achieved in Modbury, it doesn't take the necessary
actions to make the whole UK plastic-bag-free?

Happy new year to everyone,

Marilyn
Greener Kingston

CarryAbag

Jan 2, 2010, 7:10:40 AM1/2/10
to plastic...@googlegroups.com
Yes, well done indeed. Although I reckon it should be for services to the
environment in UK not just in Modbury :>)

Fab news,
Donna

Donna Forbes
Lets Make Chesham Plastic Bag Free!
www.PlasticBagFreeChesham.co.uk

Marilyn
Greener Kingston

Rebecca-Modbury

Jan 2, 2010, 5:22:57 PM1/2/10
to Plastic Bag Free
Hi Marilyn and Donna,

thanks so much for your very kind words, and well that's sweet of you
to say Donna,:)
and yes Marilyn good question, but I feel it's a case of slowly slowly
catch a monkey.
I take it you saw what Holland and Barrett have done... if not take a
look
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/6921116/Holland-and-Barrett-becomes-first-major-retailer-to-ban-plastic-bags.html.

All we need is a few more retailers following them and they have
certainly laid down the gauntlet, and that combined with the Welsh
assembly's new ruling on P bags, it's only a matter of time.
The cynical side of me thinks once the UK government works out how
much revenue the welsh are making from their plastic bag tax, well
seeing how broke we are they will follow suit. Unfortunately by doing
that it's not going to be popular with the public.
By the time it comes I fear it will be viewed as another stealth tax,
and they are probably right because if this current goverment was
going to do anything about bags and packaging they should have done it
at the end of 2007 - we gave it to them on a plate back then.
But hey for what ever reason I personally think in the not to distant
future they'll do something to limit bag use.
well I hope they do

very best wishes oh and Happy NEW YEAR!!!! :)

On Jan 2, 12:10 pm, "CarryAbag"