How to effect changes made to config.pl?

Bernard Higonnet

Apr 19, 2014, 5:45:42 AM4/19/14
to plansc...@googlegroups.com
I'm a newbie using FreeBSD 8.3 and Apache/2.2.24 (Unix) PHP/5.5.0 mod_perl/2.0.7 Perl/v5.12.4

I get a calendar with tabs & everything so that looks good.

I tried to turn off password use for events as described in a post on this group but I don't know how to 'reload' config.pl without restarting the entire server??

I strongly suspect it isn't really registering anything I do either such as the above or anything I do over the web (e.g. change password, change defaults for a calendar etc.).

I have stopped & restarted server before making this post and as expected, nothing I did has been remembered.

The easiest answer is that I don't have the correct write permissions somewhere but I don't know where to look...

TIA
Bernard Higonnet

Kevin

Apr 19, 2014, 10:59:58 AM4/19/14
to plansc...@googlegroups.com
'config.pl' is not a file that is packaged with Plans. There is a 'plans_config.pl' which sets certain parameters. You do not need to 'reload' it other than uploading it to the plans installation on your server. If you're working directly on the server, saving the file should do. Restarting the server should not be necessary. If it was, those of us on shared hosting could never install Plans.

So, make your changes to plans_config.pl, save it and/or upload to your plans installation on your server, and you should be good to go.

Bernard Higonnet

Apr 19, 2014, 1:08:03 PM4/19/14
to plansc...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Yes, obviously, I meant plans_config.pl. Sorry about that!

But I did save the file. I agree completely that restarting the server would be crazy; I brought it up as a crazy straw-man.

I can, during a session, create a user change the date format, but that's all lost if I close my browser.

One other funny thing is that when I want to preview an entry I'm adding, I get an empty dialog box. Since it's empty, I dismiss it, then add the entry, I get a message saying adding the entry, but then it is nowhere to be found...

Bernard Higonnet

Kevin Mahoney

Apr 19, 2014, 6:11:26 PM4/19/14
to plansc...@googlegroups.com
OK then :)

Well, I'm no Perl expert so my ignorance is gonna show here. It sounds like something may be missing. I don't know what libraries come with a standard Perl installation, nor do I know what Plans may require beyond a standard set, but perhaps you are missing a necessary one?

Also, are you storing data using MySQL or "Flat File" (XML). If the former, have you created the database? Have you told Plans where the database is in plans_config.pl? Have you told Plans the storage method you're using via same? There's a whole section of plans_config.pl starting at line 251-ish that covers this.

Those are all kind of rhetorical questions to help you troubleshoot. I use the XML storage option so if you are using MySQL I don't have much help for you.

Bernard Higonnet

Apr 19, 2014, 7:04:31 PM4/19/14
to plansc...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It appears I am using flat XML files as data_storage_mode=0 and the data directory exists and is writable by the userid running Apache.

Having written the line above, I double-checked that affirmation and it was false. When I copied the data/*.default files to the working ones I was root so they became unwritable by Apache. I have fixed this and now Plans does remember users I've added and changes I've made to "Special Options" so this is real progress.

I can also add events now, as well as create new calendars. The only problem I'm aware of right now is the empty dialog box when I try to preview an event before adding it to a calendar. Unless You have an answer or feel it should stay in this thread, I plan to create a new thread for that in a day or two.

Thanks!
Bernard Higonnet

Michael Hafen

Apr 21, 2014, 11:36:25 AM4/21/14
to plansc...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried using a different browser?

I was just looking at the preview process (for the first time), and it looks a little fiddly to me.  The javascript creates the dialog window, then has the form post'ed into it.  How well that works my depend on which browser you are using.  I just tried it in Firefox (ver. 28) and it seems to work.

bth...@higonnet.net

Apr 21, 2014, 11:53:09 AM4/21/14
to plansc...@googlegroups.com
Well, this is very embarrassing...

So I tried a different browser (actually Firefox under Windows as opposed to Firefox under FreeBSD) and of course it worked fine. So I looked at my FreeBSD Firefox browser and I had turned off pop-ups.  It is a tiny bit peculiar since Firefox did create the pop-up but refused to display anything in it!

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to help.
Bernard Higonnet