Green Bay Packers and the .nyc TLD

Tom Lowenhaupt

Feb 9, 2011, 9:25:52 AM2/9/11
to Web Tools For Participatory City Planning
A post on our blog yesterday entitled "Green Bay Packers and the .nyc
TLD" hints about creating a civic spirit of the sort that exists in
Green Bay but based on a digital resource, the .nyc TLD. See the post
at http://bit.ly/OurBlog.

The post quotes the Packers site on their experience using not-for-
profit ownership of a key civic resource - the Super Bowl XLV champion
Green Bay Packers.

It got me thinking anew about .nyc's potential for being a form of
common pool resource, using the voter.nyc name-set as part of the TLDs
governance mechanism - see http://bit.ly/VoterProject. In essence The
Voter Project proposes using the voter.nyc names as building blocks
for a secure and private URL-based civic network, e.g.,
Thomas.Lowenhaupt.voter.nyc.