Inventing.nyc - The Neighborhoods

Tom Lowenhaupt

May 5, 2012, 11:03:53 PM5/5/12
to Web Tools For Participatory City Planning
The city has committed to making the .nyc TLD a reality and the wheels
of government are starting to turn. Our attention is returning to the
neighborhood domain names - Astoria.nyc, Chelsea.nyc,
BrooklynHeights.nyc, etc. - and how they can be developed to make a
more livable city.

We’ve several wiki pages on the subject -
http://www.coactivate.org/projects/campaign-for.nyc/traditional-neighborhood-names
- one of which focuses on content elements -
http://www.coactivate.org/projects/campaign-for.nyc/content-guidelines.

On Thursday, May 17, 6-8 PM, we’re meeting at the Neighborhood
Preservation Center - http://www.neighborhoodpreservationcenter.org/
- to scrutinize our musings and move toward engaging neighborhood
activists city-wide and creating a viable governance and business
model for the neighborhoods name-set.

We'll also report on our ongoing research collaboration with the New
York Internet Society and Wikimedia-NY, see NYCwiki.org - http://nycwiki.org/.

The Center is at 232 E. 11th St, New York, NY (map). Register here -
http://www.meetup.com/dotNYC/events/63313072/ - or send me an email.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt
t...@communisphere.com