Some symbols incorrectly displayed

1 view

Silvio Capobianco

Mar 13, 2012, 11:50:16 AM3/13/12
to plane...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I have noticed that PlanetMath seems to display uncorrectly the
inequality symbol, LaTeX command "\neq".

I take as an example this entry of mine:
http://planetmath.org/?op=getobj;from=objects;id=11000
On my browser (Firefox 9.0.1 on Linux Mint Debian edition) the end of
the fifth paragraph is displayed as:
"then f(x1) = f(x'1) with x1 = x'1, so f is not injective."
Of course, the second "equal" should be "not equal". In fact, the
LaTeX source code reads:
"then $f(x_1)=f(x'_1)$ with $x_1\neq x'_1$"

Reloading, with either the browser button or the one in the page, does
not solve the problem.
Rerendering does not solve the problem.

I have only noticed this problem for this symbol: I don't know if
there are more.

Best regards,

Silvio

Aaron Krowne

Mar 13, 2012, 12:20:54 PM3/13/12
to plane...@googlegroups.com

Thanks silvio; what rendering mode is this?   What happens in other view modes?

Silvio Capobianco

Mar 13, 2012, 12:31:08 PM3/13/12
to plane...@googlegroups.com
Hello Aaron,

Thank you for your message.
The mode was the default jsMath HTML.

After reading your message I tested the other modes.
HTML with images displays OK.
PDF file is rendered correctly.
The "page images" mode seems to me a snapshot of the PDF, and it is OK.

So it seems it is jsMath that has this problem...

Best regards,

Silvio

Aaron Krowne

Mar 13, 2012, 12:37:55 PM3/13/12
to plane...@googlegroups.com
Actually it looks right for me.

You might want to clear your cache -- I fixed some jsMath mode bugs last night and I suspect this was included in the fixes; but if your cache is still the same it will often stubbornly refuse to reload.

-Aaron

Silvio Capobianco

Mar 13, 2012, 12:58:24 PM3/13/12
to plane...@googlegroups.com
Hello Aaron,

I cleared the cache on Firefox, but the problem did not go away :(
However, I did another test wit Opera 11.61: that one displays
perfectly with jsMath.
So it must be something in my Firefox.

Thank you for everything. Best regards,

Silvio

Aaron Krowne

Mar 13, 2012, 1:10:47 PM3/13/12
to plane...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed for some reason the caching is remaining more stubborn... I don't quite get it... maybe there is a separate cache in jsMath controls?  You might want to check for that.

-Aaron