nothing too unexpected - sage math vs simons foundation

Joe Corneli

Sep 6, 2015, 5:40:51 PM9/6/15
to planetmath
http://sagemath.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/the-simons-foundation-and-open-source.html

--
RMS: "I am not on vacation, but I am at the end of a long time delay.
I am located somewhere on Earth, but as far as responding to email is
concerned, I appear to be well outside the solar system."

Joe Corneli

Sep 28, 2015, 6:27:36 AM9/28/15
to planetmath
Following the link about "funding in Europe" I noted that the
OpenDreamKit project has some interesting partners:

http://opendreamkit.org/partners/

It's probably the biggest consortium I've ever seen for a European
project, and with some familiar people involved.

Pretty cool, though I was sort of hoping it would be a grant programme
not just an individual grant.

«Mathematics is hugely important to the UK economy: according to a
recent report by Deloitte contributing 2.8 million jobs and £185 billion
of GVA (Gross Value Added). This project will build the next generation
of software tools for mathematics, so mathematicians and other
scientists can collaborate and share data in real time, and solve more
complex problems more quickly than ever before. Interdisciplinary
expertise in Oxford on mathematical collaboration, keeping user
contributions organised, and mathematical software, is at the heart of
the project.» - Ursula Martin

Jacobs University Bremen

Michael Kohlhase
Florian Rabe
Christian Maeder
Mihnea Iancu

Logilab

Florent Cayré
Olivier Cayrol
David Douard
Julien Cristau
Serge Guelton

Simula Research Laboratory

Hans Petter Langtangen @hplgit
Min Ragan-Kelley @minrk
Martin Sandve Alnæs @martinal

University of Kaiserslautern

Prof. Dr. Wolfram Decker

University of Oxford

Ursula Martin
Edith Elkind
Dmitrii Pasechnik

University of Sheffield

Neil Lawrence
Michael Croucher

University of Silesia

Marcin Kostur
Jerzy Łuczka
Jan Aksamit

University of Southampton

Hans Fangohr @ProfCompMod
Ian Hawke

University of St Andrews

Steve Linton
Alexander Konovalov @alex-konovalov
Markus Pfeiffer @markuspf

University of Warwick

John E. Cremona @JohnCremona

Universität Zurich

Paul-Olivier Dehaye

Université Joseph Fourier

Clément Pernet @ClementPernet
Jean-Guillaume Dumas

Université Paris-Sud

Nicolas M. Thiéry @nthiery
Viviane Pons @pyviv
Florent Hivert
Samuel Lelièvre
Loïc Gouarin

Université de Bordeaux

Vincent Delecroix
Karim Belabas
Bill Allombert
Adrien Boussicault

Université de Versailles – Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines

Luca De Feo @defeo @luca_defeo
Nicolas Gama

On Sun, Sep 06 2015, Joe Corneli wrote:

> http://sagemath.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/the-simons-foundation-and-open-source.html

Aaron Krowne

Sep 28, 2015, 10:17:09 AM9/28/15
to planetmath
Neat...  funny how now this probably all makes a lot more sense to people now that "cloud" is a thing (in effect we've been doing "cloud" models for math collaboration for 15 years already).

Also funny, I briefly worked with GAP way back in 1999/2000 or so...

-Aaron