big report on joe's research nearing completion

Joe Corneli

Oct 19, 2010, 12:05:26 AM10/19/10
to planetmath
Hi All:

I plan to submit this to readers here sometime this week:
http://metameso.org/~joe/docs/probation-report-draft.pdf

Will still be making minor changes in the mean time, but if anyone has
comments on it feel free to share them with me. Some of you have
already seen and commented on a (much) earlier version.

The current abstract reads as follows (subject to change of course!).

Can we build a semantically adaptive personal learning environment
that helps people learn mathematics and that meets reasonable criteria
for sustainable growth and development? This is question that applies
at the interface between participatory social media and interactive,
adaptive, "knowledge media". Ten years ago, no one had heard of
Wikipedia. Perhaps in another ten, P2PU will be as popular as my home
institution, The Open University. A wide range of stakeholders in
education are surely curious to know why, or why not, and what this
may mean for their careers. Aside from the possible social signi cance
of the question, I anticipate that the personal learning environment
(PLE) approach will
provide an interesting stream of use data, including implicit and
explicit information about how people learn mathematics. This
opportunity to
look in detail at learning behaviour in open, online, participatory,
educational spaces is quite new. My project will combine
socio-cultural analysis,
technical development work, and datamining techniques to help support
both individualized learning and ongoing system development.

Best wishes,
Joe