More on the Hansen paper and the back-and-forth between jim and Michael Mann

1 view

H simmens

May 29, 2023, 3:10:35 PM5/29/23
to HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings

Here’s another detailed article that focuses more on the back-and-forth between Jim Hansen and Michael Mann and other climate scientists.

What I found perhaps most notable is the acknowledgment that even if the Hansen paper is a more accurate representation of climate dynamics, given the pace and culture of science, it’s not likely to to have much impact for a number of years as the excerpt from the article below demonstrates.

After all, if all you have is a hammer then everything looks like a nail, which in this case means that if the only tool in your toolbox is emission reductions, then all the Hansen paper even means is that we need to do emission reductions only even faster.

Whereas the Hansen paper itself indicates that one of the key policy consequences of his analysis is the urgent need for direct climate intervention, an approach not mentioned at all in the article.

The limitations, and even myopia of current climate science and policy is quite starkly illustrated by the contents of this article. Future generations, if there are any, should zero in on what is said here as a significant reason why climate action is failing without efforts at radical course correction.

Herb

“Even if the dire conclusion of 2 degrees Celsius of warming is affirmed by peer review, it’s not clear if one new research paper would have much impact on global climate policy, said Glen Peters, a senior climate researcher with the Center for International Climate Research (CICERO) in Oslo.

“Policy makers and decision makers do not generally respond to each new paper that is published, no matter how reputable the author,” he said. “They wait for the consensus view from the IPCC published every 5-10 years. Even so, the policy outcome would be much the same. A sharp increase in climate action is needed, beyond the level that politicians already find unpalatable.”

Herb Simmens
@herbsimmens
Author A Climate Vocabulary of the Future
“A Sciencepoem, an Inspiration, A prophecy, also hilarious. Dive in and see.” Kim Stanley Robinson

Tom Goreau

May 29, 2023, 3:23:24 PM5/29/23
to H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings

The IPCC system is based on averages of many predictions, regardless of their quality, so it will never separate the gems from the sewage.

Mann is a really great paleoclimatologist, sad to see his misleading statements. Hansen and his team are simply the best in the modeling business.

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance

Chief Scientist, Blue Regeneration SL
President, Biorock Technology Inc.

Technical Advisor, Blue Guardians Programme, SIDS DOCK

37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

gor...@globalcoral.org
www.globalcoral.org
Skype: tomgoreau
Tel: (1) 617-864-4226 (leave message)

Books:

Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466595392

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466557734

No one can change the past, everybody can change the future

It’s much later than we think, especially if we don’t think

Those with their heads in the sand will see the light when global warming and sea level rise wash the beach away

Geotherapy: Regenerating ecosystem services to reverse climate change

Bhaskar M V

May 30, 2023, 7:06:58 AM5/30/23
to Tom Goreau, H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings
The peer reviewed paper publishing process is being abused.

There is no provision for public comments & debate on each paper on the website of the Publisher.
This feature needs to be introduced, then anyone can comment on the website and the authors would have to respond,
this is a better process than peer review by a few friends of the authors / editors / publishers.

Regards

Bhaskar
Director
Kadambari Consultants Pvt Ltd
Hyderabad. India
Ph. & WhatsApp : +91 92465 08213

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NOAC Meetings" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/noac-meetings/7941A156-D0A5-4634-9475-4CBD70894405%40globalcoral.org.

Ye Tao

May 30, 2023, 7:58:34 AM5/30/23
to H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings

All the more important to put scissors in ordinary people's hands, bypassing inertia of established top-down processes.  Our time is most certainly best spent developing bottom up, ground-based SRM.

Sounds like a logical conclusion, no?

Ye

Peter Fiekowsky

May 30, 2023, 9:54:32 AM5/30/23
to Planetary Restoration
Can someone explain what, if any new news is in this excellent Pipeline paper?

This graph from the paper, in which I added today's CO2 level of 420 ppm, which corresponds to 20C warming, is based on data from 2008, which John Englander (and I) have repeated many times.
Scientifically, it's a good and important presentation. Policy-wise what's the difference between 2C warming, 10C, or even 20 C warming?
In any of those cases, life as we know it is over, and a new chapter opens. Hansen and our community have been saying this for decades.

Dead is dead, right? Is 10C 'more dead' than 2C?

Either we restore the climate-to below 300 ppm CO2 (yes, Hansen says 325, which I'm fine with), or we're dead. Is there anything else to say?
Yes, SRM can buy us time before we die, but most of us prefer to just restore CO2 to safe levels, and not die. While we're restoring CO2 levels, we can reduce losses with SRM, but as long as we target net-zero by 2050, we're headed to 2, 10, or 20 C warming (depending on how you interpret the numbers)--all of those correspond to death of life as we know it.

Climate restoration is an idea whose time has come.
Peter

Robert Chris

May 30, 2023, 10:13:43 AM5/30/23
to planetary-...@googlegroups.com

Peter,

Nicely put.

Unfortunately your straightforward assessment falls apart when we ask who the 'we' are that 'prefer to just restore CO2 to safe levels, and not die'.  There are a lot of people who are going to die long before they're extinguished by global warming.  Many of them consider restoring CO2 to safe levels to be a serious threat to much of what they value.  Most of those that have the power to restore CO2 to safe levels are in that group.  Conversely, few of those whose lives are really threatened by global warming and would like to restore CO2 to safe levels have the power to do much about it.

The real choice is between revolution followed by climate induced collapse and climate induced collapse followed by revolution.  Not much of a choice, but my money is on the latter.  An orderly transition from here to where we need to be is highly unlikely, I would even say, implausible.

My new mantra - Climate change waits for no man or woman (or, to be truly inclusive, any other gender).

Regards

Robert

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Planetary Restoration" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/planetary-restoration/df3d6b5d-b1f3-40c0-a9a5-6b8b994f8e45n%40googlegroups.com.

Robert Chris

May 30, 2023, 11:44:10 AM5/30/23
to Ye Tao, H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings

I'm really struggling with the detail in Hansen's paper.  Here's something simple.  Can anyone help with it?

In Line 271 et seq he presents a graph (Fig. 1) of RF, comparing IPCC AR6 with his calculations.  The IPCC data come from AR6 Table A III.3.  The total RF shown in that table is 2.84 W/m2.  However, his Fig 1 and the related text [line 283] refer to the IPCC AR6 RF of 3.84 W/m2.  Then in line 295 he refers to the IPCC RF of 4.14 W/m2. It is this value that he uses throughout the rest of the paper as the reference RF since 1750.  In line 1299 he uses 4.6 W/m2 with reference to mid-Holocene 7kyBP and dismisses the difference between the two as being immaterial given the current rate of increase in RF.

These differences may arise from the different definitions of RF but it isn't clear how that has been done.

In addition, in AR6 Table 7.8 2019 total anthropogenic ERF is reported as 2.72 W/m2 while in Table 7.5 it's 2.871 W/m2.

Then in Table 7.2 model-derived RF is reported for F(sst) and ERF as 3.70 and 3.93 W/m2 respectively.   Hansen prefers the use of F(sst) to ERF - see line 234.

My question is this.  Where does the 4.14 W/m2 that is central to his calculations come from and how are all these different RF values reconciled?

Regards

Robert

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Healthy Planet Action Coalition (HPAC)" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/healthy-planet-action-coalition/78888d45-3fe1-a596-8401-c66ec7c6127d%40rowland.harvard.edu.

Michael MacCracken

May 30, 2023, 5:00:17 PM5/30/23
to Peter Fiekowsky, Planetary Restoration

Hi Peter--A couple of things:

1. The curve, without your addition, is the relative temperature change in that spot in Antarctica--and so it is NOT the change in global average temperature. In polar regions one can get relatively large changes in temperature as there is often a near surface inversion in temperature and it does not take much energy to raise the temperature of a thin layer of the atmosphere when at other latitudes the layer that must be warmed can extend up to the tropopause. Also the air is very dry as well as cold, and much easier to heat dry air than moist air given one has to provide the energy to raise the humidity.

2. I say "relative" because this is not showing the absolute temperature, but the difference from whatever the annual average was at that location in say 1950 or so/preindustrial. So, don't think that the 20 C you get is an absolute temperature as the actual temperature now at the site is likely minus a several tens of degrees C.

3. On your scaling, it looks a bit more than linear to me, and indeed should probably be logarithmic as is CO2 forcing, so, going from say 150 to 300 ppm should be the same distance as from 300 to 600, etc. (the actual isotope changes are caused at least in part by changes in the temperature from which the water evaporated, etc.--so that is an additional complication) and likely a lot of other factors come in as one tries to extend it upwards, so I really don't think that is an appropriate thing to do with the paper, and seeming putting it as the first graphic in your presentation with your extension I just don't think is justified.

So, overall, I'd hold back on the diagram you modified and concluding 20 C increase.

Best, Mike

PS--On the paper itself, good to read Jim's monthly post.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Planetary Restoration" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/planetary-restoration/df3d6b5d-b1f3-40c0-a9a5-6b8b994f8e45n%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Fiekowsky

May 30, 2023, 5:22:24 PM5/30/23
to Michael MacCracken, Planetary Restoration
Mike-
Your points are well taken--I assumed that people knew that. I appreciate your clarification for this list.

--Everyone: 20C refers to a 20C increase, just as 2C refers to a 2C increase from preindustrial global average,  Most of the readers here know that global warming refers to increase, not absolute 1C or 2C. I apologize for not explaining that.
--Everyone on this list is aware that with the loss of polar ice, the ratio of CO2 to temperature rise will change. That is why I say that 2C warming or 10C warming or 20C warming doesn't change policy, although it is important science.
-It is useful to point out that polar temperatures vary more than global average temperatures, perhaps 2X or 3X more.

Bottom line: climate restoration is an idea whose time has come.

Robert Chris

May 30, 2023, 5:51:12 PM5/30/23
to Bruce Parker, Ye Tao, H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings

Hi Bruce

That's really helpful.  Thanks.

Regards

Robert

On 30/05/2023 22:32, Bruce Parker wrote:

Line 271 et seq he presents a graph (Fig. 1) of RF, comparing IPCC AR6 with his calculations.  The IPCC data come from AR6 Table A III.3.  The total RF shown in that table is 2.84 W/m2. Figure 1 includes the forcing of only GHGs, excluding the “aerosol masking”, black carbon, etc.

However, his Fig 1 and the related text [line 283] refer to the IPCC AR6 RF of 3.84 W/m2. 3.84 W/m2 = GHG forcing from CO2 +    CH4 + NO2 + Halogenated Compounds + O3 + Stratospheric Water Vapour

Then in line 295 he refers to the IPCC RF of 4.14 W/m2 (for 2021). I don’t follow his math. But in the paragraph above he has “The AR6 GHG forcing in 2019 is thus ~ 4.05 W/m2”.  Since the AR6 data is through 2019, he probably extrapolated to 2021

In line 1299 he uses 4.6 W/m2 with reference to mid-Holocene 7kyBP  The “mid Holocene” must have been a bit cooler than preindustrial 1750

In addition, in AR6 Table 7.8 2019 total anthropogenic ERF is reported as 2.72 W/m2  This is total anthropogenic, which agrees with AR6 Table A III.3

while in Table 7.5 it's 2.871 W/m2. I don’t see the table, but that’s pretty close to 2.84

Then in Table 7.2 model-derived RF is reported for F(sst) and ERF as 3.70 and 3.93 W/m2 respectively  Are these relevant based on what you are looking for??

Hope that helps.

Bruce Parker

rob...@rtulip.net

May 30, 2023, 6:27:01 PM5/30/23
to Bruce Parker, Robert Chris, Ye Tao, H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings

This diagram quantifies GHG and other contributions to net radiative forcing.

Source is Fig 1 https://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate2876

On 5/29/2023 3:10 PM, H simmens wrote:

[...]

image001.jpg
Radiative Forcing since 1750.png

Bruce Parker

May 31, 2023, 11:10:41 AM5/31/23
to Peter Fiekowsky, Planetary Restoration

Did Hansen lower his "probably less than 350 ppm CO2" from Target Atmospheric CO2... (2008),  to 325 ppm?

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce Melton PE
Director, Climate Change Now Initiative, 501c3
President, Melton Engineering Services Austin
8103 Kirkham Drive
Austin, Texas 78736
(512)799-7998
ClimateDiscovery.org
ClimateChangePhoto.org
MeltonEngineering.com
Face...@Bruce.Melton.395
Inst...@Bruce.C.Melton
The Band Climate Change
Twitter - BruceCMelton1

Robert Chris

Jun 16, 2023, 7:46:51 PM6/16/23
to Bruce Parker, Ye Tao, H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings

Hi Bruce

I undertook to get back to you once I'd finished my review of the Hansen paper.  Attached is my email to Hansen which is hopefully self-explanatory, and attached to that is my commentary.

I'd really welcome any comments you might have on any of this.

I haven't yet sent it to anyone else.  I'd like to get some feedback before I inflict it on the wider world.

Regards

Robert

Commentary on Warming in the Pipeline.eml
Commentary on Warming in the Pipeline.docx

Robert Chris

Jun 16, 2023, 7:49:37 PM6/16/23
to Bruce Parker, Ye Tao, H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings

Hi All

I clicked send too soon!  Having said I wasn't sending this to anyone else yet, I just sent it to everyone!  Doh!

It's done.  I'd welcome feedback from wherever.  But please do not circulate it elsewhere until I've had the benefit of having its rough edges smoothed off.

Regards

Robert

John Fitzgerald

Jun 17, 2023, 6:41:05 AM6/17/23
to Robert Chris, Bruce Parker, Ye Tao, H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings
Hello Robert et al.,

Much of this thread is about how little one peer reviewed paper can do to change policy and practice.

That is true, and Jim Hansen knows it so he has helped to form at least one group that has been and still is planning an approach
that can require our Environmental Protection Agency to in turn require the oil and gas industry to pay to remove the CO2 and CH4 they emit
after a finding that they present unreasonable risks to human health and the environment.

Jim Hansen is on the Advisory Board and was a named petitioner in a formal petition to EPA and expects to
continue with similar climate policy "interventions".  (I am Vice President of the CPR Initiative, given that I know
more about vice and less about science, or being Treasurer or Secretary :-)

JF

--
John M. Fitzgerald
73 Bear Head Road

Member of the District of Columbia Bar

Robert Chris

Jun 17, 2023, 10:46:52 AM6/17/23
to John Fitzgerald, Bruce Parker, Ye Tao, H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings
Hi John
Yes, I get that.  I probably should have started a new thread but since I had intended to send this email to only one person, (and carelessly scattered it to the winds), I didn't bother.
The points you make are important.  My purpose here is somewhat different.  Jim's paper is dense and technically complicated.  It is tough for the lay reader, and even for many informed readers, to fully understand the significance of its message, and its limitations.  I also fear it's easy to over-interpret the paper.  Since the conclusions are quite alarming, I have attempted to precis it in a more accesible form so that I can explain it in terms that ordinary folk might be able to grasp - and in the process get a clearer understanding myself.  For example, I've heard some declare that Hansen is now saying that we're committed to 10C of warming by the end of the century and that is certainly not what he's saying.  On the other hand, his recommendation that attention now be turned to albedo enhancement (AE/SRM), implies that he now considers that no feasible combination of emissions abatement and GGR will avert  dangerous human interference in the climate, although he doesn't quite say that explicitly, at least not directly.
It is vital that the US take the lead on this as Jim, you and many others are valiantly trying to do.  But we mustn't lose sight of the fact that it needs the US, China and probably the EU to come together if whatever policies emerge are to be timely and globally effective.  We're still some way from that but if Jim's paper gets a proper hearing, it might nudge the world in the right direction.
Robert

Sent from my Galaxy

John Fitzgerald

Jun 17, 2023, 3:33:13 PM6/17/23
to Robert Chris, Bruce Parker, Ye Tao, H simmens, HPAC healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, via NOAC Meetings
Thank you Robert for your tireless and effective efforts to translate hard science into something the rest of us can understand and act upon.

JF