Cooling credits or carbon tax for cooling

觀看次數:1 次
跳至第一則未讀訊息

John Nissen

未讀,
2023年1月11日 上午11:45:3311/1/2023
收件者︰ Planetary Restoration、healthy-planet-action-coalition、'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings、Kyle K、Peter Wadhams

Hi everyone,

At the NOAC meeting on Monday, it was suggested that the carbon credit could be replaced with a cooling credit to offset the heating produced by CO2 emissions.

We can calculate the amount of heating from the emission of 1 tonne of CO2 quite easily, taking Hansen’s figure of 4 W/m2 for current CO2 forcing [1] and assuming the annual 37 Gt of CO2 raises this figure by 2.5%.

Heating per tCO2 = 1/37E9 x 0.025 x 4 = 1/0.037E12 x 0.1 = 2.7E-12 W/m2

The cost of polar cooling = $11E9 per year [2].  Cost for cooling offset to fund the refreezing of the Arctic would be 11E9 / 2.7E-12 = 4.074E3 = $4,074 per year for each tonne of CO2 emitted.  This is far more than anyone is prepared to pay.

Funding through having such cooling offsets will certainly not be enough to get the emergency cooling needed.  It would gain attention; and that could be justification.

Compare with a carbon tax for cooling.  $50 per tonne of CO2 might be an acceptable levy.  If added globally, we’d get $50 x 37E9 = $1850 billion per year.  At $5 per tonne we’d get $185 billion per year which would be more than enough to refreeze the Arctic and cool the planet.

So a carbon tax for cooling would be the most sensible course, unless a few governments get together to pay for it and get it done.  The US government could even go it alone at 0.1% GDP saving more than that in averted damage from weather extremes once they subside.

With a crash programme, Arctic and Antarctic warming could be halted in 5 years and global warming in 10 years.  Together, climate change could be put into reverse within 10 years.  Global mean temperature could be brought down to 0.5°C (above the IPCC baseline) in 30 years, i.e. 2053.

Efforts on decarbonisation are counter-productive unless there is cooling intervention to offset the SO2 reduction – Hansen shows that SO2 reduction could cause a doubling of the rate of global warming [1].  Aggressive CDR and methane suppression could bring GHG levels down to 1980 levels in 30 years, as part of the programme.  Life in soils and oceans could be regenerated for the bulk of CO2 drawdown with productivity benefits outweighing the costs.  The planet could be restored to a safe, sustainable and productive state in 30 years.

Every year’s delay to starting the programme adds a huge risk of tipping point catastrophe, when global warming and/or sea level rise becomes irreversible by any amount of intervention.  The probability has been underestimated by climate experts since several tipping points are already activated even with global warming under 1.5°C.   Even if the probability were to be low within this century, the impact would be an existential threat to our civilisation which means the risk has to be treated as extremely high.

Emergency cooling is a no brainer.  Additional motivation is planetary restoration within 30 years.  This should be enough for climate activists to grasp and lobby their governments accordingly.  The impact on economies will be entirely beneficial; growth can continue.  The fossil fuel industry needs to accept that refreezing the Arctic is actually of overall benefit to them – they must not be allowed to scupper our future for their own perceived short-term interests.

Cheers, John

[1] Hansen et al (2022)

Global warming in the pipeline

https://arxiv.org/abs/2212.04474

[2] Smith et al. (ERC, September 2022)

A subpolar-focussed SAI deployment scenario

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/2515-7620/ac8cd3

Jo Co

未讀,
2023年1月11日 下午4:58:0811/1/2023
收件者︰ Achim Hoffmann、John Nissen、Planetary Restoration、healthy-planet-action-coalition、'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings、Kyle K、Peter Wadhams
Achim,

Great simple statement of the issue.
Regarding a understandable unit to reach the ‘wider audience’, I talk to people about cooling devices to install in their backyards. they are home owners mostly.  They want me to describe the output of devices in units they already understand. The best is Watts. They understand that a hot plate or space heater that is 1800 watts is greatly hotter than a 600 watt device. They sort of understand that they buy power from their utility company in kilowatt hours. But even that single added unit of time leaves them adrift in making calculations. There will be a great advantage to coming up with an energy (cooling) unit that is actually easy to grasp for a wider audience.

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 11, 2023, at 9:16 AM, Achim Hoffmann <ac...@woxon.com> wrote:

Hi John:

I agree that the calculation part should not be a problem. I had taken the approach using the IPCC data that correlates the global temperature with total CO2 content in the atmosphere, which is linear.

My planned approach for my ocean cooling tech was to take the non-confrontational path of introducing Cooling Credits via a conversion factor to Carbon Credits rather than replacing Carbon Credits, no need to pick that fight. We need both (in my view), one is the shorter-term urgent fix, the other longer-bterm root cause fix.

There is already a complex and growing industry in place around Carbon Credits which has taken time and effort to build. Especially given the urgency, the aim should be to piggy-back on those efforts.

Conversations with Vera, Goldstandard or Puro.earth could be a first step.

As stated in the meeting, I see the “Cooling Credit” concept as the potential key to unlock and accelerate these types of solutions, especially if we can connect to established players in the certification industry.

Any first step to get this type of cooling discussion going in the wider public as an urgently required short term activity, must be welcomed.

All the best

achim

Achim Hoffmann

未讀,
2023年1月11日 下午4:58:0911/1/2023
收件者︰ John Nissen、Planetary Restoration、healthy-planet-action-coalition、'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings、Kyle K、Peter Wadhams