RE: DMS and climate

Stephen Salter

Jan 8, 2023, 7:07:46 AM1/8/23
to Tom Goreau, Brian von Herzen, John Nissen, Mark Hibbert, Planetary Restoration, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Healthy Climate Alliance, Eelco Rohling, Peter Wadhams

Hi All

I agree 200% with Tom’s statement about poor understanding. However my limited understanding is that the effects of dimethyl sulphide are about nucleation and Kohler not the mass of sulphur. Lots of things can trigger nucleation depending on their chemical nature and aerosol mass. Sea salt happens to be at the top of the list except for hydrogen peroxide unless someone has come up with something new.  I was once uncomfortably close to a hydrogen peroxide blast and sure that sea salt is cheaper and more widely available.  However some of the best nucleation is being done by dimethyl sulphide aerosol so we do not want to continue destroying phytoplankton.

Stephen

From: Tom Goreau <gor...@globalcoral.org>
Date: Sunday, January 8, 2023 at 6:05 AM
To: Brian von Herzen <br...@climatefoundation.org>
Cc: John Nissen <johnnis...@gmail.com>, Mark Hibbert <mark...@gmail.com>, Planetary Restoration <planetary-...@googlegroups.com>, healthy-planet-action-coalition <healthy-planet-...@googlegroups.com>, Healthy Climate Alliance <healthy-clim...@googlegroups.com>, Eelco Rohling <noac-m...@googlegroups.com>, Peter Wadhams <peterw...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [HCA-list] HCA Community Meeting

The DMS produced in the ocean is very quickly converted to other sulfur compounds! A lot is made, but most is consumed (about 90%) rather than released into the atmosphere, where it is oxidized to sulfate, making a major portion of the global atmosphere non-sea-salt sulfate.

If you look carefully at real time maps of global atmospheric SO2, oceanic sources are clearly very minor compared to fossil fuel combustion and volcanic emissions, but you can see traces of it from the circum-Antarctic Current.

When the proposal was first made that DMS acted as negative feedback that could suppress global warming (by Jim Lovelock) measurements were made of DMS concentrations in Antarctic Ice. The distribution found was the opposite of that expected by this hypothesis, DMS was highest during glacials not interglacials.

There is a lot more to be learned about its behavior before we can count on DMS to save the planet.

From: Brian von Herzen <br...@climatefoundation.org>
Date: Saturday, January 7, 2023 at 8:22 PM
To: Tom Goreau <gor...@globalcoral.org>
Cc: John Nissen <johnnis...@gmail.com>, Mark Hibbert <mark...@gmail.com>, Planetary Restoration <planetary-...@googlegroups.com>, healthy-planet-action-coalition <healthy-planet-...@googlegroups.com>, Healthy Climate Alliance <healthy-clim...@googlegroups.com>, Eelco Rohling <noac-m...@googlegroups.com>, Peter Wadhams <peterw...@gmail.com>

Previous messages in this thread have claimed that anthropogenic sulfur greatly exceeds natural sulfur.  However, a simple analysis yields the following: ,  volcanic and anthropogenic S emissions are comparable, at roughly 3e11 moles/year.  Based on the following analysis, sulfur from global algae are likely substantially at least an order of magnitude larger.

Conclusion: Algae can indeed have a substantial effect in the oceans and in marine cloud brightening through sulfur and other pathways.

Notes and support:

anthropogenic S emission: 3e11 moles S/year

volcanic S emission:  3e11 moles S/yr

marine S production through DMS etc: >3e12 moles S/year

estimated as follows:

DMS production normalized to Chl production median: 100 mmol/g Chl over deep water.

100 moles S/kg

1e5 moles S / tonne Chl

molar mass 64—> 6.4 g DMS/g Chl

global marine C production: ~3-50 gigatonnes per year (https://www.google.com.au/books/edition/Biogeochemistry/533UOWBU3_AC?hl=en&gbpv=0)

global marine Chl: 0.03-0.5 gigatonnes per year

3e7 tonnes Chl. --- 5e8 tonnes Chl

4e12 --- 6e13 moles S per year from DMS algae sources.  Even the lowest figure is >10x the anthropogenic and volcanic sources:

---------------------------

sulfur emissions from all industry sources: 3 kg/pp per year

8e9 people

2.4e10 kg so2 emissions / 64 = 3e11 moles S / year

volcanic S emission:  20Mtonnes/year / 64 g/mole (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0377027387900515)

2e7 tonnes/yr

2e10 kg/yr

2e13 g/yr / 64 g/mole

.3e12 mole/yr

3e11 mole/yr

anthropogenic S emission: 3e11 moles S/year

volcanic S emission:  3e11 moles S/yr

marine S production through DMS etc: >3e12 moles S/year

Conclusion: Algae can indeed have a substantial effect in the oceans and in marine cloud brightening through sulfur and other pathways.

Regards, Brian

Brian von Herzen, Ph.D., Executive Director, Climate Foundation, +1.650-942-9630 WhatsApp
http://www.climatefoundation.org/
NASA modeling has determined that carbon levels above 350 ppm are incompatible with sustaining a planet similar to that on which civilization has developed and to which life on Earth is adapted (James Hansen). In May, 2019, the Keeling curve exceeded 415 ppm for the first time in recorded history.

Sent via Superhuman

There have been a lot of claims that dimethyl sulfide and other sulfur gases released by phytoplankton are a major control on ocean temperature, but in fact the amount of sulfur gases from ocean sources is trivial compared to fossil fuel combustion and volcanoes, so it is hard to see how it could be a major regulator of global temperatures. The sources are mostly around Antarctica, so it cannot explain North Polar amplification. The shipping bunker fuel sulfur sources were larger, and have vanished in the last few years.

From: <healthy-planet-...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of John Nissen <johnnis...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, January 7, 2023 at 5:08 PM
To: Mark Hibbert <mark...@gmail.com>
Cc: Planetary Restoration <planetary-...@googlegroups.com>, healthy-planet-action-coalition <healthy-planet-...@googlegroups.com>, Healthy Climate Alliance <healthy-clim...@googlegroups.com>, 'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings <noac-m...@googlegroups.com>, Brian von Herzen <br...@climatefoundation.org>, Peter Wadhams <peterw...@gmail.com>

Hi everyone,

We discussed methods to cool the Arctic.  Increasing the reflection of sunlight is usually discussed; but there are also techniques to increase outgoing thermal radiation.  I mentioned winter cloud removal, e.g. by cloud seeding.  I didn’t know of any proposals for this but there are accepted techniques which could be used.  The Chinese use canisters omitting silver iodide smoke to seed clouds and increase snow over the Himalayas.  Water vapour is a powerful greenhouse gas, so it blocks thermal radiation from the ground; one gets frosts on cloudless nights.

Research suggests that SAI with injection of SO2 north of 60 degrees latitude could cool the Arctic at relatively low cost.  The tropopause is around 8 km and ordinary aircraft can fly above it.  If they fill some tanks with sulphurous fuel, they can bring these tanks into operation when flying high over the Arctic in late spring and early summer to achieve SAI cooling.

SO2 in the troposphere has a large cooling effect.  Reducing SO2 emissions has boosted global warming since measures were adopted in 1980.  Further measures, e.g. to stop using bunker fuel in ships, could double the rate of global warming.

When they die, phytoplankton and some other marine organisms Brian mentioned, give off DMS and other substances which have a cloud brightening effect.  Promotion of phytoplankton blooms in the North Atlantic and North Pacific oceans could help to cool surface water flowing into the Arctic.

Cheers, John

On Fri, Jan 6, 2023 at 5:37 PM Mark Hibbert <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello All,

Happy New Year!

This will be the usual open session this Saturday, so bring yourselves and the projects you are working on ready to share.

There are 2 items I would like to talk about specifically:

  • What are our intentions for the year
  • Given the unprecedented rise in temperature across Europe this Winter, what can be done about this? Does this suggest that some form of SRM is required and quickly?

As always please invite others so as to expand our community and the conversation about climate restoration.

My intent is that these meeting are held every 2 weeks and are to build connections in our community, get support and ideas for challenges you face and also an opportunity for people to share about the projects they are interested in or at work on, as this provides inspiration for all.

Further guest speakers are being lined up and I will let you know as things are finalised.

BTW if you are willing to be a guest speaker please contact me, dont forget subjects can be wide ranging and can include:

·         creating political liaisons

·         Making funding requests and applications

·         How art can influence human perception and engagement to messages & movements

Hopefully that gave you all something to ponder!

Date 07/01/2023, time 7 to 8pm GMT OR 11 to 12am California time.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/241622685?pwd=amk3c1FMODBuQzM4emY3L0EvdlBvUT09

Meeting ID: 241 622 685
Passcode: 595821
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,241622685# US (San Jose)
+13462487799,,241622685# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 241 622 685
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kGHjLYrnH

Regards

Mark Hibbert

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.

Tom Goreau

Jan 8, 2023, 7:37:16 AM1/8/23
to Brian von Herzen, John Nissen, Mark Hibbert, Planetary Restoration, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Healthy Climate Alliance, Eelco Rohling, Peter Wadhams

The following papers show:

    1. that DMS can contribute to Arctic cloud condensation nuclei
    1. that ocean acidification is decreasing DMS sources

    Tom Goreau

    Jan 8, 2023, 7:37:22 AM1/8/23
    to Stephen Salter, Brian von Herzen, John Nissen, Mark Hibbert, Planetary Restoration, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Healthy Climate Alliance, Eelco Rohling, Peter Wadhams

    Increasing sea salt sulfate aerosols significantly could be huge for moderating climate change, perhaps more so than ocean fertilization.

    But it needs around as much energy as goes into natural salt spray formation by winds and waves, or more efficient ways of getting the spray high enough to be effective before being rained out.

    At this moment, the bulk of sulfur dioxide over the Arctic Basin seems to be coming from industrial production in China and Russia and volcanoes in Kamchatka.

    Good luck with your efforts, Stephen, they are badly needed!

    The following papers show:

    1. that DMS can contribute to Arctic cloud condensation nuclei
    1. that ocean acidification is decreasing DMS sources

    Tom Goreau

    Jan 8, 2023, 7:37:29 AM1/8/23
    to Stephen Salter, Brian von Herzen, John Nissen, Mark Hibbert, Planetary Restoration, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Healthy Climate Alliance, Eelco Rohling, Peter Wadhams

    Here’s today’s SO2 distribution from bipolar perspectives, don’t take my word for it, see for yourself, the North Pole has about 6 times more than the South Pole! Most major sources are industrial or volcanoes, the ocean background is small, and much of it is derived by convection from land sources, not marine ones, except around Antarctica.

    Stephen Salter

    Jan 8, 2023, 7:53:34 AM1/8/23
    to Tom Goreau, Brian von Herzen, John Nissen, Mark Hibbert, Planetary Restoration, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Healthy Climate Alliance, Eelco Rohling, Peter Wadhams

    Tom

    About energy.  If you calculate the ratio of the solar energy reflected by a cloud drop of say 20 microns diameter over its life time of say one day to the surface tension energy needed to make the 0.8 micron diameter condensation nucleus on which it grew you will be less worried, even with 8% reflection and at present only 6% efficiency for the generation process. This is shown below.

    We need a pressure of 80 bar to pump spray through nozzles in a silicon wafer.  This comes to 240 kW for 30 litres per second.  Each spray vessel is design for a maximum power of 300 kW.

    If you experiment with cream in a transparent coffee mug you will see that turbulence is very good at mixing. If you film mixed clouds over the sea and speed up the video you will roller type rotation about a horizontal axis with a period of about 20 minutes.  I suggest that we can assume that spray will be soon be nearly evenly spread through the marine boundary  until the amount below clouds is washed out by rain.

    If we can get the right size for a narrow spread of aerosol sizes the amount of salt needed is tiny compared with estimates for salt of all sizes at present being thrown up by breaking waves. This is shown by the thickness of the black line from 1959 to 2002 in the graph below along with all the estimates for salt transfer.

    A fleet of 1000 vessels will allow for ones in the wrong place or faulty so 300 MW should do the job for the whole world.

    I love Windy too.

    Stephen

    The following papers show:

    1)   that DMS can contribute to Arctic cloud condensation nuclei

    2)   that ocean acidification is decreasing DMS sources

    3)   That its atmospheric role and transformations are poorly understood

    Tom Goreau

    Jan 8, 2023, 11:54:55 AM1/8/23
    to Stephen Salter, Brian von Herzen, Renaud de RICHTER, John Nissen, Mark Hibbert, Planetary Restoration, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Healthy Climate Alliance, Eelco Rohling, Peter Wadhams

    The proposed DMS glacial/interglacial stabilizing feedback is complicated!

    The first Greenland ice core record of methanesulfonate and sulfate over a full glacial cycle

    1993

    https://doi.org/10.1029/93GL00910Creative Commons 'BY' version 4.0 license

    Abstract

    Methanesulfonate (MSA) in ice cores has attracted attention as a possible tracer of past oceanic emissions of dimethylsulfide (DMS). After sulfate MSA is the second most prevalent aerosol oxidation product of DMS, but in contrast to sulfate, DMS oxidation is the only known source of MSA. The hypothesis by Charlson et al., [1987] of a climate feedback mechanism with sulfur emissions from marine phytoplankton influencing the cloud albedo adds to the interest in establishing long records of MSA and non-seasalt sulfate spanning large climatic changes. Records of MSA and non-seasalt sulfate covering time periods from a few years to thousands of year have been extracted from antarctic ice cores [Ivey et al., 1986; Saigne and Legrand, 1987; Legrand and Feniet-Saigne, 1991; Mulvaney et al., 1992] but only the record from the Vostok ice core [Legrand et al., 1991] covers a full glacial cycle. The concentrations of MSA and non-seasalt sulfate in Antarctica have been found to increase under glacial conditions. Here we present the first Northern Hemisphere record of MSA, and the first continuous record of non-seasalt sulfate, both extracted from the Renland ice core, East Greenland. The records are extending from the Holocene to the Eem interglacial 130,000 years B.P. The contrast to the Southern Hemisphere records is striking, with a decreasing concentration of MSA with the advance of glaciation but an increasing concentration of non-seasalt sulfate. A strong linear relationship is found in the Renland ice core between the ratio of MSA to non-seasalt sulfate and the temperature, with higher ratios associated with warmer climatic stages, while the opposite relationship to temperature is found in the Vostok ice core. A more complicated picture is emerging of the use of MSA in ice cores as a quantitative tracer which suggests that previous interpretations can have been overly simplistic.

    Sulfur in Antarctica cores show the same trend, with an anomaly in the last glacial cycle. It seems that much of the glacial sulfur gas record reflects melting of basal ice, and may not be marine.

    What are now the hypothesis to explain it?

    Victor Smetacek

    Jan 8, 2023, 10:01:42 PM1/8/23
    to Tom Goreau, Stephen Salter, Brian von Herzen, Renaud de RICHTER, John Nissen, Mark Hibbert, Planetary Restoration, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Healthy Climate Alliance, Eelco Rohling, Peter Wadhams

    Nothing involving biology is staightforward (evidenced by human behaviour in particular), so yes, the story behind DMS emissions is complicated but can be understood, if not reliably quantified, in the light of evolution. "Nothing makes sense in biology except in the light of evolution" (Dobzhansky).

    Evolutionary selection is of two types, shaped by growth (bottom-up) and mortality (top-down), the interaction between which determine form and function in the biosphere. Unfortunately, the two are separated in the scientific community by the great botany/zoology divide promoted by their own bottom-up competition for resources (building space and funds). To understand the sulphur cycle we need to consider not only the growth environment, favoured by biogeochemists and their models, but also the selection by mortality environment, under the responsibility of zooplanktologists who pay perfunctory attention to the carbon cycle. I will attempt to explain DMS emissions here.

    Let's get this straight first: The species responsible for most of the phytoplankton blooms belong to the diatoms (with a silica shell) that, apart from species that grow in sea-ice, emit little if any DMS, so there is no correlation between bloom biomass and DMS emissions. Diatoms dominate bloom biomass because they are better at surviving  than the small-celled, unprotected microbial phytoplankton. Diatom cells die at the end of blooms like the leaves of trees (individual cells belong to a clone and are not Darwinian individuals) and, because they are encased in shells, the bulk of the ungrazed biomass settles out on the sea floor after forming aggregates.

    Only two groups both belonging to the prymnesiophytes (also known as haptophytes) can emit copious amounts of DMS: these are a) the coccolithophorids that have armour made of CaCO3 scales and b) the genus Phaeocystis which occurs in 2 forms, tiny solitary cells that are part of the ubiquitous, low-biomass microbial network, and the balloon-like colony stage that contributes to big blooms in the Arctic, Antarctic but also in the North and Arabian Seas and more recently in the Bering Sea and along the Chinese coast where they  can attain nuisance proportions.

    a) Cocco-blooms are restricted to >10°C water and are prominent from space because they shed their albedo-enhancing white scales (the stuff of the Dover cliffs) when they go from one life cycle stage to another but their C-biomass is minor. Individual scales are a micron or two in size and take a few days to settle out. The organic biomass is transferred to another stage and mass sinking is not a typical bloom-ending event. Some species or strains of this group are reported to be affected by acidification but that is disputed.

    b) I would argue that blooms of Phaeocystis colonies are the major contributors of DMS emissions globally. The solitary, flagellated cells are kept in check by grazers and viruses but occasionally they attach to a particle, preferably a spine of a diatom cell, and secrete a balloon-like skin around themselves which grows as the cells inside divide. The factors leading to colony formation are unclear but there is evidence that the presence of zooplankton grazers are a triggering factor. The tough colony skin protects the cells inside from viruses but also smaller grazers like protozoa (ciliates). The colonies can reach 3 cm in diameter, and break through the grazer gauntlets up the food chain with increasing size. During the iron-fertilization experiment LOHAFEX in the Southern Ocean, we watched numerous colonies starting to grow but they all vanished after reaching the 10-20 µm size threshold when they became accessible to the copepod populations. In grazer-free beakers on board the colonies grew to nutrient exhaustion and would have made massive blooms outside. There was very little silica in the water, all consumed by previous diatom blooms, so one would have expected Phaeocystis colonies to dominate bloom biomass but the grazers literally nipped the bloom in the bud.

    I can imagine creating extensive Phaeocystis blooms in the Antarctic Circumpolar Current north of the Polar Front by judicious ocean iron fertilization (OIF). Of course, we will need smaller OIF experiments, to figure out life cycle timings for instance, but these experiments should be run by natural-history-minded biologists who programme the optical lobes of the brain with visual images of the organisms involved, gained by looking at the real organisms through the microscope.

    The precursor molecule DMSP (dimethylsulfonioproprionate) is an inert, compact molecule whose main function is likely to be that of an osmolyte or compatible solute maintaining osmotic pressure within the cell when salinity goes up outside. This makes sense for sessile plants in estuaries that prefer not to let solutes with charge like Na+ and Cl-  disrupt cellular processes. But phytoplankton cells, that are embedded in, hence move with the water, need osmolytes when higher salinity water is mixed into their environment, either along the pycnocline in estuaries or during ice formation. Sea-ic algae produce DMSP but given the restricted volume of their respective environments, they are globally not relevant. Btw sea-ice diatoms prefer the aminoacid proline as a compatible solute, but also make some DMSP.

    Another suggested function is that of herbivore deterrant. DMSP itself is not toxic but the enzyme DMSP lyase, (released in the crushed cell) cleaves it into DMS and acrylate, with the latter being antibiotic and avoided by protozoan grazers (see paper below). Like H2S, DMS has a smell, but since its not toxic, we don't find it unpleasant. However, it definitely attracts sea birds. Possibly, because zooplankton like krill, feeding on Phaeocystis colonies would advertise their presence by the released DMS. It might not be far-fetched (pun intended) to assume that whales would be attracted as well.

    So that's DMS in a nutshell. Let me know if you have questions regarding manipulating biological sulphur emissions to cool the planet.

    https://www.nature.com/articles/43168

    Jan 9, 2023, 7:33:44 AM1/9/23
    to Tom Goreau, Planetary Restoration, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Healthy Climate Alliance, 'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings, Peter Wadhams, Shaun Fitzgerald

    Hi Tom,

    Thanks for your fascinating polar perspectives on SO2 distribution and the subsequent discussion of organic processes.

    Going back to DMS effect on climate, I wondered whether there has ever been a significant biogenic emission of DMS/SO2 enough to cause global cooling in the paleo record.  So I looked up the Azolla event which is often quoted as having a significant cooling effect on the planet.

    I don’t know whether Azolla event gave off DMS/SO2, but it could not have produced significant cooling because the global cooling following this event occurred over millions of years [1].  The article suggests that the cooling was due to CO2 absorbed.  I think the likely explanation is mountain building: with the formation of the Andes, Alps, Himalayas, etc.  I don’t think it could have been the Azolla event, because the cooling was so slow.  Apart from the Azolla event, CO2 seems to have followed temperature, e.g. with the sudden cooling between Eocene and Oligocene periods, an extinction event around 33 mya [2].  Note that this cooling was sufficient to form an ice cap on Antarctica.

    BTW, Hansen puts much store on CO2 cooling, but the sharp decline in CO2 at the Azolla event did not produce a sudden cooling, as one would expect from Hansen’s assumption.  My paper for AGU explains the coming and going of glacial periods as a result of Milankovitch orbital cycles; there is no need to invoke CO2.  The large perturbations within the temperature cycles are probably due to sudden collapses of ice sheets and eruptions of super volcanoes.  This underlines the futility of CO2 removal to achieve rapid cooling and the urgent need for cooling intervention to return our planet and its poles to Holocene norms, avoiding the partial collapse of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets.

    Cheers, John

    [1] Arctic Azolla event

    https://theazollafoundation.org/azolla/the-arctic-azolla-event-2/

    See graphs here of temperature and CO2 here:

    http://theazollafoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cenozoic-cooling2-1024x848.png

    [2] Eocene-Oligocene Extinction Event:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eocene%E2%80%93Oligocene_extinction_event

    This was a time of major climatic change, especially cooling, not clearly caused by any single major impact or volcanic event.[3] Extended volcanic activity is one possible cause. Another speculation points to several large meteorite impacts near this time, including those of the Chesapeake Bay crater 40 km (25 mi) and the Popigai impact structure 100 km (62 mi) of central Siberia, which scattered debris perhaps as far as Europe. New dating of the Popigai meteor strengthens its association with the extinction.[4]

    On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 11:59 AM Tom Goreau <gor...@globalcoral.org> wrote:

    Thanks so much for this important information, Victor, it’s more complicated than we can imagine!

    The vast majority of modelers, and now of carbon speculators and gamblers they have spawned, have absolutely no idea of the organisms that use carbon or how they do it, and don’t seem to think they need to understand the fundamental biochemistry involved!

    Cesare Emiliani, discoverer of the O-18 glacial cycles, for whom the coccolith Emiliania huxleyi is named, was very eager to promote fertilizing coccoliths as a carbon sink in the 1980s, and was shocked when I said it probably wouldn’t work well. At that time we didn’t yet know about DMSP osmoregulation except in salt marsh grasses. The fact that algae, sea grass, mangroves and corals use it too was discovered only later.

    The immediate lesson is that regenerating highly productive coastal saltmarshes, seagrasses, mangroves, and coral reefs (all now largely destroyed) would help add DMS to the atmosphere, just where it most affects continental rainfall. Biorock technology provides the tools to do so, but is not being used on the scale needed.

    Mangrove sediments are full of DMSP decomposing organisms, as would be no surprise to Theodosius Dobzhansky!

    Phylogenetic diversity of the dddP gene for dimethylsulfoniopropionate-dependent dimethyl sulfide synthesis in mangrove soils

    Aaron Franklin

    Jan 9, 2023, 11:25:57 PM1/9/23
    to Veli Albert Kallio, Tom Goreau, John Nissen, Planetary Restoration, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Healthy Climate Alliance, 'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings, Peter Wadhams, Shaun Fitzgerald
    That's some interesting details about the Azolla event Veli.

    The deep Arctic basin SO2 emitters are flooded out by emissions off Siberia at this time of year, but one that is a persistent large emitter in the North Beaufort has been showing up as a thin Ice spot on SMOS for the last month.
    There have been numerous ITP profiler transects in the Beaufort that have run through very large fresh plumes rising from depth.
    You lot might want to brush up on your understanding of the connections between geomagnetic excursions, vulcanism, and the 12000 year cycles driven by Galactic magnetic field and Solar Micronova.

    This guy explains the mechanisms well:

    And this one goes into the geological evidence, and political cover-ups and deliberate misdirecting of the Academic Community and population:

    Best Wishes
    Aaron

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2023, 3:32 pm Veli Albert Kallio, <albert...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    I would like to remind complexities on this Azolla comparison. Although Azolla is relatively warm water and fresh water plant, the sediment cores within which Azolla remains are collected is peppered with sand transported by melting sea ice floes that drifted to open seas from sandy beaches. There is evidence that the climate was actually cold and coexistence of sea ice and Azolla has been impossible to explain. Azolla is a well known plant to botanists.

    Even more tellingly, the layer beneath containing Apectodinium which is also a well known plant and is still today found in the Amazon region preceded the cooler climate Azolla layer. Likewise, it also has been impossible to explain how come the Apectodinium layer has moraine drop stones within it that were carried out by the ice bergs melting in Apectodinium laden water. Apectodinium plant dies immediately if water temperature falls below +24C.

    Aaron has constantly bombarded this group about geothermal events on the Arctic Ocean seabed. I have not seen any evidence of that, however. But I would like to draw attention to the complaint to the United Nations Secretary-General and the exceptional lisence for the non-sovereign nations, the First Nations of Americas to table a motion on the floor of the United Nations General Assembly as the closing plea of the opening proceedings of the United Nations Year of the Indigenous Peoples. I am not going to re-tell all the detail here but you can read the issues involved on Academdemia or the United Nations website outlined:
    https://www.academia.edu/36396474/United_Nations_General_Assembly_Motion_101292_for_UNFCCCs_Talanoa_Dialogue

    I am wholehartedly a supporter of geoengineering for example to restore coral reefs by re-directing deep ocean current to surface to cool coral reefs to create manageable natural refugias in case of ocean overheating due to antropogenic forcing, El Nino, or other warming. I have also proposed to insert floating barriers between narrow passes such as that between Ellesmere Island - Hans Island - Greenland to stop southward movement of sea ice by a retreatable barrier and also between narrow straits that carry sea ice southward within Canadian Nunavut and Swalbard Islands and Franz Joseph Islands. Webs of road bridge suspension cabling secured to bedrocks to hold back ice when winds or sea current users it to areas where there are warm water. Also pumping meltwater water from beneath ice streams to increase friction, paint roofs in the cities white, and plant white-leaved trees and bush in Arctic to increase summertime albedo from horticultural varieties (or some natural species).

    Good luck for your endeavours. I hoped to get to the moon this year but get marooned on earth. My Plan A failing, I am now entertaining Plan B to meet Roger Penrith to discuss if I could get more attention to my efforts by trying to put the end to the 100+ year hiatus in reconciling General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, and Standard Model to one coherent model that would seamlessly explain nature from the realms of macrocosm to microcosm.

    Cheers,

    Veli Albert Kallio, FRGS
    Vice Presiden, Sea Research Society
    Environmental Affairs Department
    https://shipwrecks.com/srs/
    The Sea Research Society is a non-profit educational research organization founded in 1972. Its general purpose is to promote scientific and educational endeavors in any of the marine sciences or marine histories with the goal of obtaining knowledge for the ultimate benefit to mankind. It does both archival research and underwater expeditions in search of historic shipwrecks. For over forty ...

    From: John Nissen <johnnis...@gmail.com>

    Date: Monday, January 9, 2023 at 7:33 AM
    To: Tom Goreau <gor...@globalcoral.org>

    Cc: Planetary Restoration <planetary-...@googlegroups.com>, healthy-planet-action-coalition <healthy-planet-...@googlegroups.com>, Healthy Climate Alliance <healthy-clim...@googlegroups.com>, 'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings <noac-m...@googlegroups.com>, Peter Wadhams <peter....@gmail.com>, Shaun Fitzgerald <sd...@cam.ac.uk>

[...]